View Poll Results: Do you think that Adele's song 'Hello' is overrated?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 81.25%
  • No

3 18.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adele's 'Hello': Overrated?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Beyoncé has made her entire career singing about how men are terrible, but I am sure that she doesn't really hate men. This kind of thing happens. x}
    Halo from the other side ;p
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I actually like the song i'm just tired of it being overplayed everywhere is all. Then mass media finds something they like they beat it to death.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hadn't heard it either, so I'm listening to it now. It's alright, I don't like or dislike it. She does have a really great voice

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I actually like the song i'm just tired of it being overplayed everywhere is all. Then mass media finds something they like they beat it to death.
    My mom says she had this problem with Stairway to Heaven. To this day she practically throws a chair when she hears it. She used to love it but I guess they played it to absolute death and she got so sick of it

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I haven't heard it.
    I don't know HOW you've managed that. It's smurfing everywhere!
    I mostly listen to my own music, or internet channels focused on what I like, or public radio. Looooots of public access radio.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Creative rut or sticking to what makes her money?

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Creative rut or sticking to what makes her money?
    Why not both?
    I thought you said you were working on your dissertation, Formy? Tut, tut, tut.

Anywho, I'm shocked to see such cynicism from you both. The very idea that musical artists might deliberately repeat a winning formula ad infinitum just to get more money! It boggles the mind.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I never really got how overexposure to something can ruin it, especially when it comes to music.

Actually for me, the fact that Let it Go was played everywhere helped me love it. I was happy at the fact that a song from a children's movie was being treated like a real song. I tend not to mind songs being overplayed.

I don't really find "Hello" overrated - there's very few songs I don't like, and "Hello" is not one of them.

Blog Entries

As Mr Carnelian says, it IS derivative wailing. She passed her best after Rolling In the Deep and Someone Like You (Dan Wilson so helped her out there). And Im looking forward to a thread on Fynns analysis of Final Fantasy music, being new here and all.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

*Adele fan*

Adele is not in a creative rut. She's making the music that SHE wants to make, and that she feels. She's been on record saying that she doesn't care what people think of her music as long as someone out there thinks she's being honest and true. I get damn tired of people complaining about the likes of over sexualised pop stars and crying out for someone with talent, yet they slate Adele and find her overrated. She's easy enough to avoid. Hello is a great song, and When We Were Young is also brilliant. Adele doesn't need to reinvent herself, she doesn't need to keep coming up with something new and exciting - that's not Adele, Adele is Adele and she sings her feelings from events in her life.

Also proper pisses me off when people slate female artists for singing about relationships, stop trying to police and criticise our voice. Both Adele and Taylor Swift get it, but there are some amazing Adele songs that you may not have heard that just so poignantly describe the ending of a relationship, I Found a Boy for example. Stunning song.

TLDR; LEAVE ADELE ALONE.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hate radio so I am not tired of the song.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

What is the rating for this song? Hard to say if it's overrated if you don't know that.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    What is the rating for this song? Hard to say if it's overrated if you don't know that.
    Rated O for Overplayed.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't listen to the radio that much, so... Never heard it.

I thought this was going to be the Numa Numa Song at first, and now I am disappoint.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To all those going on about Adele being in a creative rut, I will point you to Elizabeth Gilbert's shockingly great new book on creativity called Big Magic, which, no lie, has been a life changing eye opener for me as someone who works in the creative field:

Maybe you fear that you are not original enough.

Maybe that’s the problem—you’re worried that your ideas are commonplace and pedestrian, and therefore unworthy of creation.
    Aspiring writers will often tell me, “I have an idea, but I’m afraid it’s already been done.”

Well, yes, it probably has already been done. Most things have already been done—but they have not yet been done by you.
    By the time Shakespeare was finished with his run on life, he’d pretty much covered every story line there is, but that hasn’t stopped nearly five centuries of writers from exploring the same story lines all over again. (And remember, many of those stories were already clichés long before even Shakespeare got his hands on them.) When Picasso saw the ancient cave paintings at Lascaux, he reportedly said, “We have learned nothing in twelve thousand years”—which is probably true, but so what?

So what if we repeat the same themes? So what if we circle around the same ideas, again and again, generation after generation? So what if every new generation feels the same urges and asks the same questions that humans have been feeling and asking for years? We’re all related, after all, so there’s going to be some repetition of creative instinct. Everything reminds us of something. But once you put your own expression and passion behind an idea, that idea becomes yours.

Anyhow, the older I get, the less impressed I become with originality. These days, I’m far more moved by authenticity. Attempts at originality can often feel forced and precious, but authenticity has quiet resonance that never fails to stir me.

Just say what you want to say, then, and say it with all your heart.

Share whatever you are driven to share.

If it’s authentic enough, believe me—it will feel original.
    Adele does whatever the smurf she wants. That's been clear about her from the beginning. And that's why people love her. Have you ever seen her in interviews? She gives no trouts if she doesn't conform to whatever your expectations might be. She sings her heart out with that magnificent voice of her's about the things she wants to sing about, and it works. Who the hell cares if she's singing about the same themes she's sung about before? She's amazing and I love her.