Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PS5 and Xbox 2... Already?

Knowing Microsoft though they wouldn't name their next console, X- Box Two- it would be something stupid, like- X Box 2. 8 + Square root of π.

Blog Entries

I don't even have a PS3 or 360 yet! O_o

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Knowing Microsoft though they wouldn't name their next console, X- Box Two- it would be something stupid, like- X Box 2. 8 + Square root of π.
    Nearly spat my brew all over the computer screen upon reading this. Nice one!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Every console manufacturer is always thinking about the next generation and it's not unusual for R&D to begin in earnest at this point in the lifecycle. For reference, they began developing the PS4 in 2008. It's a good time for Sony and Microsoft to start looking ahead, as the next generation of video memory, High Bandwidth Memory (HBM), just debuted last year with AMD's Radeon R9 Fury and Fury X.

The article seems very vague and I'm not convinced on their assumptions, especially about Microsoft prioritizing the cloud anymore than it already is, or even that 4K will be important to gaming going forward. Confirmation about PS5 and Xbox Pi development speaks more to the narrative at the start of this generation, asserting that gaming consoles were becoming irrelevant.

I think this gen should go on for six years. Part of why commentators were so down on consoles was a result of how long the PS3/360 generation lasted. There was a significant contraction in the dedicated gaming industry in 2012-2013, when publishers had pretty much exhausted all the horsepower they could get out of the systems; they finished shipping their final big games but there was nothing new at market to drive demand. At the same time, the PS3/360 were retailing for $250, with no budget consoles supported by third parties to bring in low end consumers. The six year cycle of PS1 and PS2 seems to be the sweet spot, giving publishers new hardware to drive demand among enthusiasts, while still having some life left in the old gen for casuals and niche genre audiences.

Blog Entries

It wouldn't be that surprising.

PS1: 1995
    PS2: 2000
    PS3: 2006
    PS4: 2013
    PS5: 2018-2021(?)

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nintendo seems to be bucking the curve, releasing their 'next gen' console about halfway in the current gen cycle, like with the Wii U.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

My uncle works for Sony so I've already got a PS6.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I just hope the NX, if it ends up a home console at all, will be higher powered relative to PS4 than WiiU was to PS3. WiiU is like a PS3.2, NX needs to be a PS4.5. At least that's what I think, if they want third party support not just from the current gen multiplats, but also the first few years of multiplats after PS5 is released.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Nintendo continues to rely on motion controls, which Sony and Microsoft appear to have mostly given up on.

It is this gimmick, and Mario Kart 42 which will continue to pull in Nintendo regulars.

They stand no real chance of making inroads into the dominance of either Sony or Microsoft though as they always go for the underpowered console mid-cycle.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The WiiU doesn't rely on motion controls, what?

Blog Entries

Maybe rely was too strong a word....it is still a big part of it but not as important as on Wii.

It is mainly the gimmicks that they aim for. Like the massive touch screen controller (which I begrudgingly admit looks rather cool).

And the big name games like Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Brothers.

I suppose they are all guilty of that though.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It is really not a big part of it. Unless Sony using the motion controls in their DS4 controls is "a big thing", because it's probably used just as much.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I haven't used motion controls in any of the games I have on my WiiU. I've used the touch screen to navigate certain menus, but that's it. That screen's touch isn't very suited for complex motions anyway, just single point presses.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    My uncle works for Sony so I've already got a PS6.
    I remember during my school dayz this ginger lad swearing up and down that he had a PS8 (this was around 2003) because his dad worked at Sony. It must have been a big commute considering their offices are in Surrey.

there was a picture here

Blog Entries

I stand corrected

I enjoyed the Wii but have not much experience of WiiU.

I am a Sony console collecter, and never use even the vibration function of my PS4 controller (mainly because the battery life is shocking, but also because I don't like it)

If anything needs to improve on the next gen Sony console then it is the dire battery life of the controller. Or even just the ability to turn off the smurfing light bar.