Thread: The Legend of Zelda Series

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The fact that it still exists means something. I'm sure it will super fun when it comes out!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Maaan, that was just another cutscene.

Meh, just looks like BotW 1's map but with tiny floating islands in the sky. I'll wait until I see more footage before getting hyped.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I was really hoping for an underworld, but weíll see where it goes from here

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finally started Breath of the Wild. We'll see how this goes.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I've left the Great Plateau and I'm suppose to be heading to Kakariko village. As usual, my sense of direction or lack there of has led me to the village of Hepteto I think?

Been an interesting experience for sure. Not exactly if the new design has won me over. I really love the classic Zelda formula, but so far it's been a pretty good experience so far. It's interesting for me because I've been replaying Zelda II and BotW definitely has a harder RPG formula than most Zelda titles.

The breaking weapon thing is not nearly as bad as people whine about. Almost everything seems to carry a weapon and my bigger issue is really just item management when I need to drop subpar crap for better gear. I hate scavenging for arrows though and the bow mechanics are taking a bit of getting used to. I do wish I could find more clothing option besides what's in the shops.

I think my biggest gripe at the moment is the crafting mechanics. Once upon a time, I liked crafting mechanics in game. But after it spread like wildfire through every genre known to man, it has overstayed its welcome and now feels like a chore. I've been cooking, but it's hardly my favorite thing to do and my hoarder instincts is making it hard for me to part with anything in case it might be rare.

I'm also not thrilled that bombs are infinite. They are a potent Zelda weapon and this game doesn't change that fact, but older entries usually made the finite nature of them something that kept you from spamming them. The time stop skill is also a bit broken. I wish the tablet skills had been spread out a bit farther apart and not mostly earned in the first area.

Visually, I'm digging the Studio Ghibli vibes of the games world and design. The heavy Buddhist imagery is also a nice touch. The music matches the imagery but has a bad habit of being just background noise for me. Still trying to get used to actual voice acting in the game as well.

The UI could also be better but that's likely because the game was meant to be played on the WiiU touch pad and not have everything remapped to all the buttons. Switching weapons is the worst since the scroll button is the right analog stick when my instinct is to use the shoulder buttons to scroll. I honestly feel there is too much going on with the buttons and the controls try to hard to keep you in the action when I think a less cumbersome and traditional pause/menu play mechanic would have been fine.

I have died more times to the cold than anything else in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Funnily, the UI is actually identical between both games and the touch screen is never used unless you move the game entirely to the gamepad. Itís because of the Switch version that they went away from the touch controls. In the end you have a game UI that isnít optimized for either platform lol

Glad youíre enjoying it so far! It was a bit weird for me at the beginning, but the game gradually grew on me, to the point of becoming my favorite Zelda game. Iím also a massive fan of the soundtrack, and that includes the way the game utilizes long periods of silence