Thread: The Land You Live In

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

OH, we have a similar divide here. Except it's East versus West. The West is much richer, more developed, and more liberal, while the East is poor, backwards and conservative. I live in the West now and I'm happier about that from an economic standpoint, but I do miss the rural charm of the East

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I love Scotland. It is a gorgeous country, with excellent folks to populate it. The west coast is superior compared to the ponces over on the east coast, but hey, can't be perfect! Nah, I kid, Edinburgh is fine. Glasgow is where it's at though. No hometown bias or anything. Up north is great too, with the lochs and the mountains and the ~scenic places~.

Scotland (well, Glasgow mainly) gets a bit of a bad name. Understandably. High crime rates, exacerbated by "passionate" football fans. An alcohol problem to the point that you cannot buy alcohol over the counter in a shop between 10pm and 11am. Ridiculous health issues caused by our atrocious diets. But despite this, Glasgow is an amazing and beautiful city. Full of friendly and vibrant people, and a fantastic artsy scene.

If only we got more consistent good weather.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    The west coast is superior compared to the ponces over on the east coast, but hey, can't be perfect!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

You heard me, ponce.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

These Kittens wont let this insult go unpunished.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

I'm from a town that is inbetween Manchester and Liverpool - but I would always identify with Liverpool, as not only was it closer to us but I just absolutely love scousers and what they're all about.

The perception of Liverpool in the UK does really grate on me, Liverpudlians are very proud people and the humour and sense of community is on another level, but they do have quite annoying accents - but I find them endearing, I sound a bit scouse at times myself. Plus, Liverpool is a beautiful city. My town in particular is famous for its rugby team and where Pilkington Glass is from. St Helens glass... has the class.

I like being British because we have an awesome sense of humour, the best musicians and how a cup of tea is a form of currency. I just wish it wouldn't rain so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldy View Post
    My town in particular is famous for its rugby team and where Pilkington Glass is from. St Helens glass... has the class.
    Uh oh. Now I know you're from St. Helens, and support the Saints, we have to be rugby enemies. My mum's side of the family is from Warrington, so I support the Warrington Wolves.

Blog Entries

So this happened in my town yesterday...
    http://interactives.wfla.com/photomo...sparilla-2016/

Blog Entries

I'm from a town that is inbetween Manchester and Liverpool - perception of Liverpool in the UK does really grate on me, Liverpudlians are very proud people and the humour and sense of community is on another level, but they do have quite annoying accents - but I find them endearing,St Helens glass... has the class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Uh oh. Now I know you're from St. Helens, and support the Saints, we have to be rugby enemies. My mum's side of the family is from Warrington, so I support the Warrington Wolves.
    I went to Edge Hill University (when I was there it was still a Higher Education College, so my degree was awarded by Lancaster University) It was the best my A Level grades could afford (and no, I wont tell you what they were). There were many there who came from Warrington, and I was going through a lot of areas between Liverpool and Huddersfield on the train.

Also, my friend (whose parents are from Ghana) grew up in Warrington before moving to Huddersfield.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    My town in particular is famous for its rugby team and where Pilkington Glass is from. St Helens glass... has the class.
    As long as you're not from Wigan - we're okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    I went to Edge Hill University (when I was there it was still a Higher Education College, so my degree was awarded by Lancaster University) It was the best my A Level grades could afford (and no, I wont tell you what they were). There were many there who came from Warrington, and I was going through a lot of areas between Liverpool and Huddersfield on the train.

Also, my friend (whose parents are from Ghana) grew up in Warrington before moving to Huddersfield.
    I went to Edge Hill University in 2010-2013 XD what a small world! I lived in Ormskirk for the duration, absolutely love the place!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

it would be funny if you two unknowingly met

for all i know i coulda passed by any of ya on my times in england.... sounds a bit weird now

Everyone mostly knows about America so I'll tell more specifically about North Carolina, where I live. I love it here because it is so incredibly diverse geography-wise. We have mountains, plains, beaches, rivers, lakes, etc. Basically anything you can think of, we have it here. We also actually experience all four seasons. The people here I believe are genuinely nicer to strangers than in other parts of the country I've been to. People will smile as they walk by, greet you, and not feel bad to help a stranger out. I can drive ten minutes one way and be in the city, or drive ten minutes another way and be out in the country. PLUS we have delicious sweet tea.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The land I'm from spans from desert and red rock canyons at the bottom of the state up to one of the most beautiful mountain ranges and snow caps up top.

Salt Lake City has been on the rise for the past ten years and has been inventing itself into a hopping restaurant and downtown scene, and has consistently been on the Top Friendliest Gay Cities list for years, and were one of the states to mandate gay marriage before it became a federal mandate, which I never thought would happen. We need to do better with diversity regarding race inclusion, but I think that we're getting there. We have a lot of fun festivals, parades and celebrations, and the second largest comic con in the nation. Salt Lake is so nerd and geek friendly that it's almost obtuse.

I don't know how proud I am of Utah as a whole. Utah has a lot of problems that it turns a blind eye to; the state is run almost entirely on a religious basis, though I've seen some more actual separation of church and state over the last few years and hope to see more. There are a lot of problems with drugs and teen pregnancies. The suicide epidemic isn't talked about, and it needs to be. We do a pretty okay about our homeless problem, and have made revolutionary strides in aiding homeless that have inspired other states to handle them in a more humane and inclusive capacity. Utah as a whole still struggles, but seeing the progression Salt Lake has made for itself over the last decade makes me really proud.

The land I currently live in is almost everything I think I could want from a city.

Portland is wonderful. It's taken me a long time to find a place to live in that makes me happy and where I feel at home. I've moved constantly throughout my life and have lived in five different states, and Portland feels as close to what I would want my home to be like. Downtown reminds me of San Francisco, and I don't miss it as much. I'm less than two hours from the ocean, four hours from Seattle, and six hours from the Redwood National Forest, Canada, and from my mom in Idaho.

The bar and restaurant scene here is incredible. It's smurfing incredible. The food trucks, the ice cream shops, the bakeries, the coffee shops. I never imagined living somewhere where food was so important and good food was so freely and readily accessible for a good price. The farmer's markets are wonderful. You don't have to throw down a ton of cash to enjoy a really good meal.

We have the largest bookstore in the world, and it is a beauty to behold. We're a bunch of bleeding heart liberals, and I love living in a place where I know many of the people who are around me identify with similar politics as myself. We have amazing hikes within a twenty-minute drive, literally just stepping foot outside the city. I love the climate; I love how much rain we get. I love the dog parks. I love how everyone here is friendly and polite. I love how there is fog in the morning when I wake up. We recently made marijuana legal here, and I feel like even though I'm tired of hearing about it from stoners, it was a good move to make. We have a ridiculous plethora of theaters that do second-runs on some of the most fantastic films, and I love the idea that at any time I want, I can probably hit a theater in town somewhere and probably see Raiders of the Lost ark. I love the obsession here with video game and arcade bars, and we have plans to build more. I love the unique festivals and events that our city pulls together - The Naked Bike Ride, Baconfest, Festival of the Roses, Pirate and Gypsy festival, Lavender Weekend, our film festivals, comedy festivals, a million beerfests throughout the summer, etc.

Portland is where I discovered I wanted to do comedy, and the comedy scene here couldn't have been a better place for me to begin. It has some of the most wonderful, funny, and creative people I've ever known, and everyone is quirky enough to seem like they all belong here.

We do have problems with drug use and crime and homelessness. The homelessness here is rampant; it's unlike anything I've ever seen. It may have something to do with the liberal politics in this town, but it's almost alarming. The city is trying to come to a resolution on what to do with these problems, and we're still probably a while away from solving them. Portland also has a history of being unfortunately racist, but I think people have been trying to change that for a while now.

I love where I live. I'm happy to live here. It has everything I need and want.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    it would be funny if you two unknowingly met

for all i know i coulda passed by any of ya on my times in england.... sounds a bit weird now
    Unlikely me and Zeldy met as I was at Edge Hill 2003 - 2006 (im an old lady remember )

The land (city) I live in is hated by everyone in Canada except those of us who live here. Suck it. We have everything you could ever want, and our winters are the second most tolerable in the country (second only to BC/Vancouver). Also, this city has produced a ridiculous number of actors/comedians/musicians/authors/etc. I'm always shocked by how many people I didn't realize were even Canadian are from here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_from_Toronto

But if I hear "Hotline Bling" one more smurfing time...

The land I came from is essentially Canada's little bastardized Ireland/Scotland. I had to work hard to get rid of my accent and Shorty never misses an opportunity to badger me for sounding like Brad Pitt in Snatch. Here is a NSFW (cussin') video.