Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's see what the fuss is about.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Let's see what the fuss is about.

So I've never finished it. My first Final Fantasy was VIII and the first Final Fantasy I really enjoyed was X, but in an effort to cure boredome I'm playing through the ones I have copies of.

Anyway, back to VII. I tried playing it a few times, the graphics were just too atrocious for me to even get past the first 10 minutes. I think had I known they were notoriously bad I may have been caught less off guard, but it was like getting slapped in the face by a giant lego hand. The second time I tried I got a little further but I think I got distracted and the graphics were still too terrible.

This time around I'm playing it on my Vita and it's much more bearable. The smaller screen kinda hides the graphical downfalls and it feels a little bit more right that I should be playing it like this instead of on a huge HD screen. This is not a game for huge HD screens.

So I'm currently 5 or so hours into the game and I'm pretty positive I'll get through it considering I've burnt myself out on most of the other games in my rotation. So far my analysis is this:

It's okay...

Stay tuned for more riveting play by play analysis as I work my way through the rest of the game.

*Disclaimer* This isn't a Let's Play. More just somewhere I'll collect my thoughts (they'll be more in depth that that ^) as I work my way through the game, and I thought it might be interesting for people to see what it's like for a person to work their way through the original version of the game having never played it before. The only bummer is that I do know the gist of most of the story, but there's been plenty of stuff that I wasn't aware of that has already gone on, and I'm sure there'll be more to come.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I am so envious of you and your first ever playthrough! I'd love to have my FFVII cherry popped all over again. Magical times.

Just going to say this- it's okay if you don't end up enjoying or loving the game. You have a right to your opinions. Hope you have fun and a good time though !

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't like it much the first few times but I did like it after I powered through the first disc. Turns out I just don't like disc 1 very much! But hopefully you get some enjoyment out of it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Cherish the first disc; the first disc is the best section of the game, for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

So my (more in depth) thoughts thus far are this.

The opening reactor scene is pretty underwhelming, it definitely didn't grab me and make me want to keep playing or anything like I feel an opening sequence should. I figured maybe it suffered from not having a particularly interesting opening cutscene like VIII or X did, but I was playing FF II the other day and even that drew me in straight away and that was just some generic narrative. Either way, I pushed onward and I feel much more immersed now.

One thing I'll say about the graphics is that, as terrible as they are, they're not without some charm, and it is funny to watch Barret shake a fist or jump up and down in rage.

One of the things that most surprised me was how much I've enjoyed both Tifa and Aeris (that's just what she's called in this version, I have no investment in the name so take your rage to the other thread >_< If I was playing Kingdom Hearts or something then I'd say Aerith). I always got the impression from others that it was more of a "you'll either like one or the other" sort of thing, but I legitimately like both characters. I think I maybe prefer Aerith a little bit more at this point just cause of her sense of adventure, but Tifa's boobs light-heartedness and banter with Barret is equally enjoyable.

The whole Don Corneo section was a lot of fun, I especially enjoyed running away from the lecherous dudes. It's also refreshing how mature of a game this is, it's surprising that so many children would have played it before they probably even hit double digits. A lot of it must have been lost on kids on first playthrough.

Anyway, I'm currently at the 62nd floor of the tower and working my way up (I took the sneaky stair entrance and MY GOD, the vita directional buttons are not comfortable enough to be used in such a manner). One other thing I've really enjoyed while I remember is the little mini game-esque bits that are smattered throughout. Pushing the button at the same time in the reactor, or sneaking past the guards, it keeps it refreshing.

The bad? The combat is booooring. I usually just read the forum and mash attack for most battles and then cure in between battles if it's necessary. I've died once so far and that was to the Air Buster. I got a bit reckless with not curing or using potions and discovered I only had 1 phoenix down, got him the next time though. Also, the enemy designs are horrible. They make less sense than some of the new Pokemon designs. Humanoid guard things that stand in a frog squat? A house that sprouts limbs? I'll have some of whatever the designers were having.

Anyway, I'll get back to it now and do another big update when I've progressed further along.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think a lot of people like Tifa and Aeris. I actually really like the friendship between them as well so maybe you'll enjoy that since you seem to like them both

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, this game isn't to everyone's taste. Even people who played it back in the day.

The gameplay is still solid though, even if you aren't keen on the graphics or story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Graphics are fine. I find they aged a lot better than VIII's graphics for the same reason Street Fighter II aged better than Mortal Kombat, lack of realism. My eyes needed a moment to adjust to picking up VIII again whereas VII? Not a problem. Has a real Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe to it.

The opening reactor is great and I love the scorpion boss fight and rigging the place to blow. Next reactor is kind of wash, rinse and repeat, though. I agree on Tifa, Aerith, and the charm. Cloud liked to shrug a lot in his heyday.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    The bad? The combat is booooring. I usually just read the forum and mash attack for most battles and then cure in between battles if it's necessary. I've died once so far and that was to the Air Buster. I got a bit reckless with not curing or using potions and discovered I only had 1 phoenix down, got him the next time though.
    Press X to win! Honestly, you'll be doing that throughout 90% of the game. There are a few boss battles that you'll need to pay a bit of attention to, but overall... nah.

Cloud in the original FFVII is best Cloud, let's be real here guys.

"Alright everyone, let's mosey"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Graphics are fine. I find they aged a lot better than VIII's graphics for the same reason Street Fighter II aged better than Mortal Kombat, lack of realism. My eyes needed a moment to adjust to picking up VIII again whereas VII? Not a problem. Has a real Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe to it.

The opening reactor is great and I love the scorpion boss fight and rigging the place to blow. Next reactor is kind of wash, rinse and repeat, though.
    Everything you just said... I think the opposite

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I agree, I can't stand VII's graphics compared to the other games in the series and the controls are cluuuunky

I remember the pointer finger you can bring up with the 'select' button....and it talks to Cloud in-game. I didn't know those things were alive.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Is it just me or is everyone in the FFVII world completely impervious to falls from great heights!?