Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humongous mecha

I suppose the issue is it's all rather shallow and comes across as very perfunctory. Particularly when contrasted with its predecessor. I still like the Rebuilds a lot, though, and I do enjoy that it's more of a re-imagining rather than a direct reproduction. So, points for taking a different direction, but it's certainly a much more conventional direction than the original series, which was a very unique creature.

I am very much looking forward to the fourth movie. Hopefully that comes out by 2017 :/

Edit: A lot of my thoughts are actually in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfM3WjyCt8s

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

All this chat over a terrible show. x} I jest, Eva has just never clicked with me. I appreciate all it has done, but it was just supremely eh in my books.

I think the first mech show I watched was Gundam Wing, and that was alright. That was followed up by Eva, Macross Plus and RahXephon. Around this time I also watched Escaflowne. I enjoyed them well enough - some more than others. My exposure to mecha things was limited after this until I was in university, when I started watching things again.

Code Geass was great. My friend who likes more... "obscure" anime, I suppose recommended a whole bunch of little mecha series. Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (fantastic), Gunbuster/Diebuster (also fantastic) and Bokurano (many tears, but really good too).

As of recently, Matt and I finished up Gurren Lagann, which I really enjoyed. Recent seasons have been mixed with Gargantia being an enjoyable romp, and Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut being an atrocity.

I have some more Macross to watch in future (Macross F, I think) and I'll probably pick up mecha shows here and there. Not my favourite genre, but as with many things, I like some and don't like others!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    All this chat over a terrible show. x} I jest, Eva has just never clicked with me. I appreciate all it has done, but it was just supremely eh in my books.
    See, I get that. My wife thought the show was mediocre, while EoE nearly traumatized her I still think Rebuild does things a lot better and it might be enjoyed by people who disliked the original, but yeah, like you said, it's pretty important for anime as a whole, but that doesn't mean it will be enjoyed by everybody

I really hate the End of Evangelion movie. The anime's ending was infinitely better as it lacked Shinji masturbating and a whole ton of entirely pointless character deaths.

I've haven't watched NGE. A buddy of mine tried to get me to, but there wasn't time for it.

When I was little a watched all of the usual;

Robotech
    Voltron
    Mazinger Z

About Mazinger (the show with the "girl" robot that could fire "rocket boobs"), I don't think the Wiki page is correct. I was in kindergarten when I started watching it. I had the huge toy that fired "rockets" and had the removable ship from his head. I remember a had drawn one of Mazinger's enemies that gave him a really hard time (winged, a tale, "Cyclops"). That would mean I was already a fan two years before the Wiki page claims it reached the States. Doesn't add up.