Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mulan

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

You never know, maybe there'll be a version dubbed in Chinese for China!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Taking care of business Cid's Knight Bubba's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Maybe I'm just bored with the Disney formula.

- Character is separated from family/friends
    - Character rediscovers meaning of family/friendship
    - Character finds identity from re-uniting with family/friends

I could be just expecting too much from them because after all, they are for kids!

This is why I can't get on with romantic comedies due to the whole boy meets girl - they date - something breaks them up - they get back together.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Jackie Chan did some of the voices for the Chinese dub for the animated Mulan, I think.

To be honest, I can totally get where Bubba's coming from, and he makes a fair enough point. Were you to inspect the core premise of every Disney movie, what he outlined wouldn't be too far from the truth, though there are exceptions, obviously. I think Fynn said it best though: what makes Disney distinct is that the formula is (usually) subtlety changed for every film. It's still unmistakably Disney, but there's a nuance, either in the characters, or the plot. Which is why I partially agreed with maybee about the lack of nuance lately with certain male archetypes.

I can get being tired of it though. I went through a phase of 'ugh, not another Disney film'. Somewhere in like, 2007. Whenever the first Cars film got made (and yes, I know that's Disney/Pixar). Then Cars 2 came out which really sunk me with the studios. I'm back now to enjoying Disney though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Maybe I'm just bored with the Disney formula.

- Character is separated from family/friends
    - Character rediscovers meaning of family/friendship
    - Character finds identity from re-uniting with family/friends

I could be just expecting too much from them because after all, they are for kids!

This is why I can't get on with romantic comedies due to the whole boy meets girl - they date - something breaks them up - they get back together.
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from, and ultimately I just have to agree with you that it's because the movies are for kids.
    mfw you post

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Sargatanas)

I hate it when people simplify things down to the most basic points. You can do that to anything and make it sound like everything is terrible. I mean, how many movies can be described with this blurb?

The protagonist sets out to defeat an antagonistic force which threatens the protagonist and/or protagonist's homeland.
    Literally millions of hits. But hey, you'll probably find that you really enjoyed that one movie that follows this basic plot despite it being completely overdone.

Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I hate it when people simplify things down to the most basic points. You can do that to anything and make it sound like everything is terrible. I mean, how many movies can be described with this blurb?

The protagonist sets out to defeat an antagonistic force which threatens the protagonist and/or protagonist's homeland.
    Literally millions of hits. But hey, you'll probably find that you really enjoyed that one movie that follows this basic plot despite it being completely overdone.
    Exactly my point.

Blog Entries

I think from this discussion we can conclude that Disney may or may not be in the habit of re-using similar moviemaking formulae and said movies may or may not be good movies (and such a trend may or may not be reflective of movies in general?)

Taking care of business Cid's Knight Bubba's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I think from this discussion we can conclude that Disney may or may not be in the habit of re-using similar moviemaking formulae and said movies may or may not be good movies (and such a trend may or may not be reflective of movies in general?)
    Exactly my point.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Sargatanas)

So you're just tired of movies in general then, Bubba? :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

Well, ur...

On the subject, do you think they're just going to CGI Mushu? Actually, a live-action Mulan won't be so jarring because he's literally the only non-human in the film. Oh, and Cri-kee. Besides that, it'll just be live-action. I hope they maintain the lighter feel though of the animation. I mean, sure, it was heavy in places, but it was still Disney. A Live-action remake of what is essentially a war film with swords and armies could get dark quick if they're not careful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Sargatanas)

I don't think they'll shy away from making it a little bit more brutal, while also keeping the relative lightheartedness of other sections.

If the Jungle Book is anything to go by, the relatively lighthearted King Louie section was made a lot more perilous in the remake. Made all the more terrifying by the fact that Christopher Walken was singing "I Wan'na Be Like You" throughout.

Ta-Ra-Raspooteen Cid's Knight Night Fury's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Liara Lavender (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Well, ur...

On the subject, do you think they're just going to CGI Mushu? Actually, a live-action Mulan won't be so jarring because he's literally the only non-human in the film. Oh, and Cri-kee. Besides that, it'll just be live-action. I hope they maintain the lighter feel though of the animation. I mean, sure, it was heavy in places, but it was still Disney. A Live-action remake of what is essentially a war film with swords and armies could get dark quick if they're not careful.
    There is actually a dark live action Mulan that is in Chinese I believe! Dunno how good it is though.

The Mulan Remake sounds promising though. Itīs going to be kinda dark though also i want to see how Mushu looks in this. I grew up watching this movie, however i donīt have any high expectations.
    The One and Only KeybasH.

how could disney
    make a live action remake
    out of muuuuuuuuuuuuuuu(lan)