Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Disney Princesses Question

  1. #1
    Ray "Bloody" Purchase! Crop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,507

    Default Disney Princesses Question

    When this game came out, the official Disney Princess lineup already existed, so why did Kingdom Hearts not roll with the lineup when choosing the Seven Princesses of Heart?

    At the beginning, the 9 princesses were Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan and Tinker Bell.

    The 5 they chose from the lineup are Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Belle and Jasmine. Kairi was obviously one, so they have one position left to fill. Not using Ariel and Tinker Bell makes sense from a practical point of view due to living underwater and being tiny respectively.

    So why weren't either Mulan or Pocahontas chosen? Pocahontas has never even featured in a Kingdom Hearts game! It seems odd to instead choose Alice, from a film which has largely been forgotten (relative to other films used) over Mulan and Pocahontas which were fairly recent at the time of the game release.

    Has this ever been asked before? Was there ever an answer?

  2. #2
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,549
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Pocahontas and Mulan aren't princesses. Neither is Tinkerbell. But neither is Alice, for that matter.
    mfw you post

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Ray "Bloody" Purchase! Crop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Pocahontas and Mulan aren't princesses. Neither is Tinkerbell. But neither is Alice, for that matter.
    They are according to Disney. Tinkerbell isn't anymore, she was removed.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess

    They brought it out shortly before the game was released. Even from a marketing point of view you'd think they'd want to pimp it out as much as possible by following the lineup, for that dollar.

  5. #5
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,549
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Pocahontas is totes a princess. She's the chief's daughter!
    Chief, not king. Native Americans don't have royalty. There is no such thing as a Native American princess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Pocahontas and Mulan aren't princesses. Neither is Tinkerbell. But neither is Alice, for that matter.
    They are according to Disney. Tinkerbell isn't anymore, she was removed.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess

    They brought it out shortly before the game was released. Even from a marketing point of view you'd think they'd want to pimp it out as much as possible by following the lineup, for that dollar.
    At least Pocahontas was the daughter of the chief (see above, though), but Mulan is not royal. In any way whatsoever. She's a commoner who married a commoner (a war hero general, but still a commoner).

    They're marketed as "princesses", I'll give you that. But they're actually just not.
    mfw you post

  6. #6
    Ray "Bloody" Purchase! Crop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Yeah, I get that. Aerial makes the most sense from an actual princess point of view, but like you said - Alice isn't a princess either. She isn't even a princess in the eyes of Disney, so it seems odd to pick her over the other two who at least have the official tag to them.

  7. #7
    tech spirit
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virgo supercluster
    Posts
    17,920
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    2

    FFXIV Character

    Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Where's my god damn frozen princesses. Well, princess. No queens allowed.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

  8. #8

    Default

    Mulan and Pocahontas, I don't think that they were added into the official Disney Princess line-up till a few years after KH's release. The Disney Princess line-up used to be Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine - and sometimes Tinkerbell, Esmeralda, Meg, and Jane. I know that Esmeralda and Meg got quickly dropped because Disney felt like they would be 'bad role models for girls "( which is total BS, but W/E )

    Ariel only got replaced by Alice, because SE said that she would much easier to make a Princess than Ariel would be.


    I don't remember seeing Mulan and Pocahontas being apart of the line-up till around 2008-2009-ish. Disney most likely felt that Mulan would be a better space holder over Tinkerbell, because she's somebody that young Chinese girls can look up too, and she saved China. Same with Pocahontas, she's somebody that young girls can look up too, who share her culture. They needed to include Mulan and Pocahontas, because it would be ages before Tiana, plus it makes the line-up, more cultural and fair to more races than just European French/ German.


    TL;DR Mulan and Pocahontas were most likely included into the line-up after KH's release, to make things more fair to more cultures. Plus, Mulan is awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Where's my god damn frozen princesses. Well, princess. No queens allowed.
    Disney said that they want to make Frozen a separate merch place, same with Moana and that Spanish Princess chick from that Disney Channel show. Elena ?



  9. #9
    DMKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    11,266

    FFXIV Character

    Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

    Default

    Yeah, the fact that Alice was chosen as one of the princesses of heart never made any sense all to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    There is no such thing as a Native American princess.
    Native American here. Tell that to my tribe, which currently has three princesses.

    Also, in the stupid sequel Pocahontas II when she goes to the new world, the people there refer to her as a princess. And honestly, being the daughter of a chief really is the closest thing to a Native American equivalent. But it's true, "princess" was not a Native American term until the last couple centuries.

    I've always wanted to see Pocahontas in Kingdom Hearts but I'm guessing Nomura either didn't really like that movie or just can't think of a way to feasibly work her/her world into it well.

    As for the whole "Disney Princess" thing, they don't actually have to be a princess to be a "Disney Princess". You see, the group who came up with the whole DP thing base it on something they call "The Princess Mythology" which means they have to meet certain criteria, mainly four things: They have to sing, they have animal friends, they have to have a love interest, and they have to come from a film that was a well known roaring box office success. This is why characters who meet the criteria like Megara from Hercules and Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame aren't part of it (those films were both successes, but they weren't THAT successful), nor are actual princesses like Kida from Atlantis: The Lost Empire or Eilonwy from The Black Cauldron (they don't fit the criteria, plus those films were box office bombs).

    Of course, that's all apparently stopped applying now that Merida from Brave is a Disney princess. She doesn't sing, doesn't really have any animal friends (unless you count the horse she rides), doesn't have a love interest, and technically isn't even a Disney created character. So I think now it just comes down to being the female lead from a roaring box office success. Which begs the question why Elsa hasn't been added to the lineup, although I'd guess it's because she's still literally printing money on her own without being part of a secondary character lineup.
    Last edited by DMKA; 11-20-2016 at 05:50 PM.

  10. #10
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,549
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Yeah, the fact that Alice was chosen as one of the princesses of heart never made any sense all to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    There is no such thing as a Native American princess.
    Native American here. Tell that to my tribe, which currently has three princesses.

    Also, in the stupid sequel Pocahontas II when she goes to the new world, the people there refer to her as a princess. And honestly, being the daughter of a chief really is the closest thing to a Native American equivalent. But it's true, "princess" was not a Native American term until the last couple centuries.

    I've always wanted to see Pocahontas in Kingdom Hearts but I'm guessing Nomura either didn't really like that movie or just can't think of a way to feasibly work her/her world into it well.

    As for the whole "Disney Princess" thing, they don't actually have to be a princess to be a "Disney Princess". You see, the group who came up with the whole DP thing base it on something they call "The Princess Mythology" which means they have to meet certain criteria, mainly four things: They have to sing, they have animal friends, they have to have a love interest, and they have to come from a film that was a well known roaring box office success. This is why characters who meet the criteria like Megara from Hercules and Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame aren't part of it (those films were both successes, but they weren't THAT successful), nor are actual princesses like Kida from Atlantis: The Lost Empire or Eilonwy from The Black Cauldron (they don't fit the criteria, plus those films were box office bombs).

    Of course, that's all apparently stopped applying now that Merida from Brave is a Disney princess. She doesn't sing, doesn't really have any animal friends (unless you count the horse she rides), doesn't have a love interest, and technically isn't even a Disney created character. So I think now it just comes down to being the female lead from a roaring box office success. Which begs the question why Elsa hasn't been added to the lineup, although I'd guess it's because she's still literally printing money on her own without being part of a secondary character lineup.
    Informative, I stand corrected! My thing came from the whole "my grandmother was a Cherokee princess". Nah, mate, Cherokees don't have princesses. But thanks for pointing that out.

    Anyways, this is pretty informative, but it still bothers me when x is called a princess. NO THEY'RE NOOOOOOOOOOOT
    mfw you post

  11. #11
    Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In the land of Scots
    Posts
    20,405
    Articles
    52
    Blog Entries
    1

    FFXIV Character

    Sheetle Bug (Sargatanas)

    Default

    I feel like Japan really enjoys Alice in Wonderland (woo hoo, sweeping generalisations based anime what I have seen) so I can imagine they'd be inclined to get her in there one way or another.

  12. #12
    Skyblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth, approximately
    Posts
    10,368

    Default

    I think Alice qualifies as a Princess. In Through the Looking Glass, Alice plays the role of a White Pawn, eventually making it to the end of the board where she becomes... A White Queen. Kingdom Hearts takes the story of Alice in Wonderland, where the events of the later book have not yet transpired. Ergo, Alice is a girl who is going to be a queen. And what do we call such a person? A princess.

  13. #13
    Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Jasper's Park
    Posts
    3,390
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I think Alice qualifies as a Princess. In Through the Looking Glass, Alice plays the role of a White Pawn, eventually making it to the end of the board where she becomes... A White Queen. Kingdom Hearts takes the story of Alice in Wonderland, where the events of the later book have not yet transpired. Ergo, Alice is a girl who is going to be a queen. And what do we call such a person? A princess.
    That was just awesome.
    The one true comparison to love and hate is; when you allow either to overcome you, it can make it so that you canít think of anything other than that one person...

  14. #14
    DMKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    11,266

    FFXIV Character

    Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

    Default

    Because Kingdom Hearts does its own thing and Tetsuya Nomura is weird. Why they chose Alice as one of the Princesses of Heart has always baffled me, especially since Ariel is in the game, and is not a Princess of Heart.

    Mulan didn't come until after the fact, so I understand why she wasn't even considered. Not that she's a princess anyway, though she's no less a princess than Alice.

    As for Pocahontas, she and her film simply haven't been used in KH. Her film is one of my favorite animated films ever and I really wish she was incorporated into the series. I've wanted her in KH since the beginning.

  15. #15
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    16,032
    Articles
    52
    Blog Entries
    12
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    I would imagine it was something more mundane like a simple issue of not getting copyright approved in time. It's part of the reason why we've never seen Tarzan after the first game because even Disney technically doesn't own the full rights to the story.

    In the case of Pocahontas, I would imagine it's simply a matter of avoiding controversy since, unlike every other Disney property, she was a real person. Not to mention all the damn controversy that came about when the original film came out. I would imagine that particular film is off the table due to Disney and SE not really wishing to alienate any fans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •