Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's share our first (spoiler free!) impressions!

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Okay BoB WoFF vs FFXV GO

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

WoFF. Currently it's not a contest. That's not to say FFXV isn't great, but more that WoFF absolutely nailed pretty much everything.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I've been playing the game for a while now. Way better than the XIII fiasco, but the game just doesn't feel like Final Fantasy. It has far more in common with WRPGs to be honest. Characters are likable, but extremely one dimensional. The biggest problem is the story though. So far nothing has any impact. We are being told rather than shown what happens most of the time. It's insulting. Not showing Lucis fall was a major offender.

That said, it is a good game. Just not the "OMG BEST GAME EVER!" that people have been hyping it up as.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Here are my first impressions of a puzzle dungeon where all your combat abilities are taken away!

"UUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHH"

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Here are my first impressions of a puzzle dungeon where all your combat abilities are taken away!

"UUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHH"
    You are fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

"UUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHH"
    You are fast.
    Multiple hours later my impression of this area remains the same. Except maybe a few more HHHHHHs

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

Don't you just hate it when a game suddenly changes the rules
    Here's looking at you, any stealth section in any game that isn't a stealth game!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

Don't you just hate it when a game suddenly changes the rules
    Here's looking at you, any stealth section in any game that isn't a stealth game!
    You're one to talk pal, I bought F1 2016 and all was going well in my Championship until Suzuka when suddenly I had to sneak into Rosberg's trailer and steal his lucky jockstrap.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    WoFF. Currently it's not a contest. That's not to say FFXV isn't great, but more that WoFF absolutely nailed pretty much everything.
    I agree with this statement too, so far. I think part of my problem is I've been more in the mood for a game like woff than xv.

I am enjoying xv though. Just hit chapter 2. I will say that the scenes from kingsglaive (or at least I assume they are from the movie... Still haven't seen it) feel out of place. I'm also annoyed at jumping when I try to interact with stuff. I also have noticed the frame rate still isn't the most stable and have seen some visual glitches, but nothing that really irritates me too much. I've seen a lot of the same character model too. I feel like I saw 4 of the exact same girls standing in a room at one of the outposts, which I thought was funny. Those are my only criticisms for now. A few other things but I'll wait to pass judgment on those just because I'm not very far.

Anyone who has a ps4 pro, how has the game been running

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Finally had a chance to actually start the game beyond the tutorial.

- I think the general premise of the game is shallow and the overall execution of the game so far is kinda... stupid, to be really blunt. Like, past FF games really get you immersed into the story through the prologue and make you care about what is going on, or at least intrigue you to know what is going on-- and I'm not really getting any of that here. The beginning of the prologue makes little sense unless you watched Brotherhood and Kingsglaive, and I'm glad I took the advice I was given and watched them before starting. It's poor execution to require the player to do stuff like that though, I feel. But I'm really struggling to feel intrigued by the story. And suspending disbelief on how the Regalia, the Royal Car, likely treated with extreme care and high quality maintenance, would break down, leaving a Prince stranded in the middle of nowhere, completely broke (this fancy futuristic world, and no currency exchange devices? Okay.)-- it's just a bit much for me.

- The Cup Noodle billboard. I salute you, overt product placement.

- Input in the game feels... kinda clunky. You have to position yourself just right to interact with things. Or when one of the quicktime events happens in combat, sometimes they won't execute even if I'm pushing the button. It's a little frustrating.

- That said, I'm really enjoying the flow of the combat style. It feels very Kingdom Hearts-ish and I'm definitely a fan of that-- but the camera kinda sucks trout sometimes. I was doing a sidequest battle and the camera would constantly fling a bush right in the foreground and I could not see what was happening. But all of the stuff you can do in combat, and switching weapons on the fly? Yeah, I'm a fan of that.

- The Ascension system reminds me of FFX's Sphere Grid and I like that. Giving the player the option to decide how they want to proceed with developing skills is something I do enjoy-- but it does feel a little overwhelming when AP is in such short supply, in the early game. It makes it hard to know what is best to prioritize. I've invested most of my AP into combat techniques. Seemed useful.

- I like Elemancy a lot! I'm a huge fan of having the freedom to experiment and craft my own things in RPGs to work with is very cool. Though I hope it's more advanced than it leads on. I was kind of hoping that mixing Fire and Ice and Lightning and so on would go on to create their own unique spells, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case. Hoping that it gets more depth as the game continues. But being able to tweak spells with items is really neat!

- So far, I am looking forward to playing more. I'm hoping that the story will grab me more than it is right now, for sure, but at least the gameplay is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Anyone who has a ps4 pro, how has the game been running
    Haven't had any issues beyond the tutorial freezing up on me. Framerates feel consistent. Seems pretty good. Though, my TV doesn't have HDR compatibility, so I'm running it on Lite. Don't really have a reason to run it on High.

Here's a thing I like about the game: you have good chocobo music when you're riding your chocobo at a normal pace. But when you are walking slowly with it the music seamlessly fades into a soft woodwind arrangement of the theme.

I like both versions and it's nice how it dynamically adapts that sort of thing. There are a few other points the music does that as well, where you have these layers that fade into each other depending on what's going on. Its good audio design.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Had a few glitches myself: Game completely crashed on me last night. Got the PS4 equivalent of a BSoD. Also Ignis's hair got stuck in a glitched position, then he completely went invisible. Definite FPS drops in places, but I think those are on "invisible boundaries" where the game starts background loading in assets of the next area.

Still haven't been to Lestallum... nearly Level 30 now and nearing 17 hours played...

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Still haven't been to Lestallum... nearly Level 30 now and nearing 17 hours played...
    And I thought I was farting about xD

Yes, some glitches for a game this big justn cannot be avoided. I have experienced some myself already, fortunately nothing too bad- Some even funny like when the bros try to load next to Noct and then end up towering on top of each other.