Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: A new EoFF Mafia

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The lynch of Shauna was the tipping point, and I really like how the mafia got FF Nut to doubt Shauna's Shadow claim. Both Fynn and Scruffington said that it was likely that someone would lie about their character identity and then when Shauna claimed Fynn added a lovely "if she's telling the truth" after it. FFNut goes right in for that and then Scruffington seizes on this and absolutely hammers the nail in by saying what claiming Shadow is BS. Everyone else then swoops in and gg. Wonderful manipulation there fellas.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

We basically won thanks to luck. And the fact that you Cosmos people were giving us your full cooperation

Yes, Scruff did the first killing. If my guess is correct, we were incredibly lucky because it looks like Qwerty was the detective. Had we had anyone who could read alignments from the beginning, this would have gone way different.

So I followed the general rule I learned from IRL mafia - if you want to win as mafia, you have to roleplay. And by roleplay, I mean you have to roleplay as a town version of yourself (pretty obvious, doy). BUT, we were not anticipating the amount of details that the flavor text would contain. But I took to breaking it down anyway. I was worried I'd incriminate Scruffy - after all, there were two confirmed girls who could have performed the killing, Garnet and Lenna. Me pointing that out was almost guaranteed to get Scruff killed - if not on that turn, then on the next.

But in came Nutty. He was acting super suspicious, so I knew he could be used to divert attention away from Scruffy for the second day, but he turned out to be even more helpful than that with the Shauna suggestion which actually made sense in light of the fact that her claimed character hadn't appeared in the flavor text. I rolled with it, convincing enough people to vote Shauna, while Scruffy went in another direction, which really helped prevent people from associating us with each other until the very end of the game. Before we knew it, Shauna was lynched. We stood a chance after all.

Now, on the second night, we were facing huge risks. Scruffy and Nutty were bound to be watched by the investigators and we didn't know what roles they had and what they would learn about them. We thought killing Fox was the safest since a lot of factors pointed to him being the detective, but we were convinced Freya knew that herself and would protect him, so we took her down. I was actually thinking of killing nobody, since the flavor text would have given me away and there was no way Scruffy could do anything without getting discovered. But in the end, it paid off. Attention was diverted from both of us.

Now, everybody played well, but Freya and Shauna were definitely the most dangerous players. We were left with FFNut, who basically couldn't say anything that would let him defend himself; Fox, who was pretty hung up on the FFNut theory from the getgo; as well as Formy who only became more and more lost as everything he believed in crumbled to dust. At this point, we didn't even need to do much manipulation since everyone just banked on FFNut. Nobody noticed that I didn't point out what I pointed out the day before - that there may be two killers, that if lynch the wrong person, it's game over. And then there was the fact that AK was missing, which also worked to our advantage. So the third day was pretty much over before it started. IMO< the only way this could have been averted was if the Cosmos people took a step backwards and decided to reevaluate all the options from the start. Of course, there's still ways in which we could manipulate that (again, I think you were trying too hard to to "feel out" people rather than logically evaluate their motives for saying what they're saying, Formy, but that's easy for me to say since I had the high ground).

And then I killed AK in the end just because Fox and Formy were both convinced he's the bad guy and were screaming "TAKE ME FIRST", so I just wanted to twist the knife, so to speak

Also, as a sidenote, I know that I would have voted No Death on the first day even if I was Cosmos since I was just used to playing a variant of Mafia that always starts with Nighttime

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Pretty much, yeah. No need to go into any more detail from there, because Day 3 would be the inevitable lynch of either myself or FFNut depending on who survived.

Mafia will sow seeds of distrust and light fires under misinformation and faulty logic. As soon as FFNut outright said "Shauna is lying", they propped that up further with support and more 'reasoning'. Boom, done.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah. If that hadn't happened, I'd have lost Scruffy along the way and would have to struggle myself against the entire town, and I'd need to reduce it to two

So thanks a bunch, Nutty!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I also think this is delightfully ironic:

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Can't sleep, clowns'll eat me. Can't sleep, clowns'll eat me. Can't-

Oh Fox. If only you knew that the clown was your only real ally XD

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yeah. If that hadn't happened, I'd have lost Scruffy along the way and would have to struggle myself against the entire town, and I'd need to reduce it to two

So thanks a bunch, Nutty!
    And it was YOU who killed Freya, not Scruffy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yup yup!
    OK good.

I mean not good​, but... you know. It makes sense :P

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's why waiting for AK wouldn't have changed a thing - he watched Scruffy, and Scruffy did nothing at all. Another huge stroke of luck since had he watched Nutty and told everyone he did nothing, we'd have to improvise. Though I doubt we'd have much trouble convincing you guys that AK is actually on the Chaos side and in league with Nutty

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

What you can take from all this is if you're town, at the start of every day take a breath and read through everything. Don't jump right back on the bandwagon from the previous day. Your opinions are changeable, and that's olay!

I mean, I 180'd my opinion on FFNut when I died, with the reasons I highlighted in my PM to Karifean. It would have been tough to explain had I survived, but it's not against the rules to decide that someone isn't as Mafia as someone else.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Not necessarily, Fynn - AK could have seen Scruffy's alignment.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Ah well, turns out he couldn't. xD BUT it was a risk that you shouldn't have been willing to take.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You hardly paint a glowing picture of me, Fynn. It's a fair one, but it hurts all the same!

Can I make a suggestion for the host: can the start of each day be bookmarked in the OP? Because going through post trying to quote a suspicious post or find yesterday's vote count is really dull and tedious. It's a small thing, but it would really help.

I think what made me suffer was the flavour text discussion. Oh, that confused me no end.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The problem is, we carefully weighed all options. And there was no way we could avoid a huge risk. This was actually pretty much the safest route.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

AK's tracking - oh man, if he'd only done it the other way around!