Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: I just can't

  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    It's okay, I think we all have that one Final Fantasy that has a strong fanbase, but when you try and play it- you just hate it. I feel like this towards the OG FF Tactics.

    FF 9 is just "not for you ", it's okay to stop and not keep playing if you want.
    Haha coincidentally enough, FFT is another much-beloved FF that I really can't get into.
    !

    I thought that I was the only one ! The gameplay is just soooooo slow, and the story and characters are like watching grass grow.

    Don't see what others see in it. Tactics A2 really brightens everything up though imo.



  2. #17

    Default

    Toss my vote in for FFT as well, but then again, it's the same for almost every SRPG since. I was brought up on Shining Force for strategy rpgs, and games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem, that only let you play the game during fights wears me out no matter how droll the plot and characters are. I wonder why more strategy rpgs forego their rpg parts and any interaction outside of combat is usually just a visual novel menu set-up and not actual gameplay. There's only one other SRPG I can think of that lets you walk around between fights and explore the world and talk to people and it's an obscure SNES game that can only be played with translation patches



  3. #18
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    16,032
    Articles
    52
    Blog Entries
    12
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Toss my vote in for FFT as well, but then again, it's the same for almost every SRPG since. I was brought up on Shining Force for strategy rpgs, and games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem, that only let you play the game during fights wears me out no matter how droll the plot and characters are. I wonder why more strategy rpgs forego their rpg parts and any interaction outside of combat is usually just a visual novel menu set-up and not actual gameplay. There's only one other SRPG I can think of that lets you walk around between fights and explore the world and talk to people and it's an obscure SNES game that can only be played with translation patches
    Arc the Lad

  4. #19
    disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    in the rain
    Posts
    5,616
    Articles
    1
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Toss my vote in for FFT as well, but then again, it's the same for almost every SRPG since. I was brought up on Shining Force for strategy rpgs, and games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem, that only let you play the game during fights wears me out no matter how droll the plot and characters are. I wonder why more strategy rpgs forego their rpg parts and any interaction outside of combat is usually just a visual novel menu set-up and not actual gameplay. There's only one other SRPG I can think of that lets you walk around between fights and explore the world and talk to people and it's an obscure SNES game that can only be played with translation patches
    Arc the Lad
    unrelated to anything but ive never played arc the lad games but

    sephiroth and celes is in arc the lad 3???

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhDqUwd2Hls


    edit: set design in FF9 is spectacular, so maybe that'll get you going
    architecture wise it's incredible
    it's like a ghibli movie had sex with ff6

  5. #20

    Default

    do yourself a favor and pick up the Arc the Lad Collection, best SRPG i've ever played, it doesn't punish the player for grinding up levels like Tactics does... that 5 hour dungeon in the first one though, it's even longer in AtL 2...

  6. #21

    Default

    I keep forgetting they exist, and I think Wolf has reminded me a couple of times when I complain that nobody does tactical RPGs the way Shining Force does, and I keep forgetting about that series. My brother had loaned me the PS2 game, and I emulated the first 3, and played about 10 hours of the first one, and stopped for some reason. Probably a life event. Probably a house fire. And never got back to it. I'll have to grab them on my Vita...

    Do any of them require prior knowledge? Are they direct sequels? Or can I jump into an older one first. I forgive a lot of Shining Forces quirks for nostalgia's sake. But I remember Arc the Lad 1 being rough around the edges, and I'm wondering if the sequels are more refined and/or easier to get into



  7. #22

    Default

    Ark the Lad 1 & 2 are directly connected, and game saves carry over the first 3 games, there's 2 more that i know of for the PS2, Twilight of the Spirits and another one that i missed picking up so i don't remember its name offhand...

    OT: i wish they'd do a re-release/remake of FF IX where they fix the Trance and do away with dumb stuff like requiring Magic Crystals to equip skills... also making Beatrix a permanent party member would drastically improve the game...

  8. #23
    Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    Posts
    16,032
    Articles
    52
    Blog Entries
    12
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I keep forgetting they exist, and I think Wolf has reminded me a couple of times when I complain that nobody does tactical RPGs the way Shining Force does, and I keep forgetting about that series. My brother had loaned me the PS2 game, and I emulated the first 3, and played about 10 hours of the first one, and stopped for some reason. Probably a life event. Probably a house fire. And never got back to it. I'll have to grab them on my Vita...

    Do any of them require prior knowledge? Are they direct sequels? Or can I jump into an older one first. I forgive a lot of Shining Forces quirks for nostalgia's sake. But I remember Arc the Lad 1 being rough around the edges, and I'm wondering if the sequels are more refined and/or easier to get into
    The first two games were originally meant to be one game but Sony had them rush out what became the first game, so it's a lot more blah and incredibly short (the game can be finished in about ten hours) in comparison. AtL2 is a vast improvement in terms of gameplay and balance, though it gets really grindy with some of the late game missions, and probably has more characters than it should. The game also has a weird difficulty spike towards the end that is a bit annoying, especially with a final boss that is designed to be more frustrating than he should be, but it's also likely that I was simply too burnt out by the end and rushed it as well. With all that said, Arc 2 was a pretty cool game and it's tied very closely to Arc 1 which you should also play through. Arc 3 improves gameplay, but I didn't care for the story or characters as much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •