Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cities you would have wanted to spend more time in

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by A Pint of Quinness View Post
    Lindblum public transit cars fly
    Not anywhere like the public helicopters in Midgar! I bet it can land straight into Honey Bee Inn for a quickie before flying to the top of the Shinra Building for a bungee jump.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Helicopters are used as public transport in Midgar? The only ones I can recall off the top of my head were used by the Turks.
    Shinra staff serve the public. So the transport they use are definitely public transport. Elderly nowadays.
    If that's the case, there are loads of cities with better transport. Helicopters? Pah. You should see what they use in FFXIII!
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post
    Helicopters are used as public transport in Midgar? The only ones I can recall off the top of my head were used by the Turks.
    Shinra staff serve the public. So the transport they use are definitely public transport. Elderly nowadays.
    If that's the case, there are loads of cities with better transport. Helicopters? Pah. You should see what they use in FFXIII!
    Oh ya? Can they land into the slums and access the honeybee inn for a merry good time easily or a plate control console and blow a plate up? The helicopters' accessibility & convenience are top notch!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

why go to a brothel in ff13 when the party is filled with hoors

hoverboarding from my dorm dodging the snitches, follow that road (sorry bite bugz), get to balamb and eat some fresh fish by the pier. stop by ma's like whats up ma. board the train to Deling (via timber lookit the kitties) and get straight on the bus to do some shopping in the shopping arcade. see my buddies there and they're like "we're gonna walk across to FH, wanna come!" and we do but it takes three days because its a bridge crossing a literal ocean. but its cool we are young and the sun is out and the breeze is on our faces and not a thing can go wrong and the future can be nothing but bright

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Pint of Quinness View Post
    why go to a brothel in ff13 when the party is filled with hoors
    How dare you.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

The irony is that you go to most of the sectors in Midgard minus the topside. But even in the original, I think there is only one or two sectors you don't actually visit. The issues is that a lot of it is mostly "let's just walk by this boring place" type of deal. I don't feel the Remake did any better of a job, sadly.
    Interesting... I'll just run through that, if that's okay. Note: This is only the original, as I'm not at all far in the remake, and haven't played/seen the spin offs. Also, tagging as a spoiler, mainly due to it not being that relevant to the thread, so people can skip if they want - though there is a spoiler in there.

(SPOILER)Sector 1: Briefly travelled through for the first Reactor mission - I think you can see hints of houses on the way. At least some of it may have been destroyed.

Sector 2: Not shown.

Sector 3: Not shown.

Sector 4: Plate interior shown en route to Sector 5 Reactor, but actual town not shown.

Sector 5: Shown as an actual town.

Sector 6: Under construction, but contains Wall Market which is shown as an actual town.

Sector 7: Shown as an actual town, but later destroyed.

Sector 8: Visited both early and late in the game, but town not really explored.

It would have been nice to have had a chance to visit the towns we didn't the first time around, in my opinion. - overall, only three Sectors had the actual towns explored, not to mention whatever else was there. I get the idea that Midgar is supposed to be a place you're glad to leave, but the fact that they allowed you to go back in if you chose to, it would have made some level of sense for you to see the places you didn't before (though thinking of it, I don't know how you'd suddenly be able to get to them - and the overall point to going back was to get at least the Premium Heart, I guess...)

Note: This isn't meant to correct you or anything, as I respect your knowledge of the franchise, and can tell you do your research - it just sparked my interest and curiosity to really think about what Sectors are shown.

Hope this didn't go too off topic.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You're fine.

The thing is, I don't think every sector is a town. Or more correctly, the bottom sectors wouldn't all need to be towns. Topsides could be cities, but it's also obviously that some sectors are more industrial like Sector 1. There is also Sector 0, which is the Shinra building. I know Midgar is said to have been multiple town before merged together, but it would also make sense that the towns moved upward as the cities industrialized and the old towns were either torn down to make way for industry or became the shanty towns we see in the game.

Narratively speaking, I don't see a point of exploring the other sectors unless you were going to set the whole story in that location. Exploring the rest would have likely just driven home the fact that Midgar sucks, which I feel what is shown already does well. The only advantage of going topside would be to have that Solaris moment from Xenogears, but it wouldn't have been as impactful since the context is completely different. Course if the game had focused purely on the industrial dystopia/environmental terrorism aspect, then it would have been important to explore this, but we all know VII eventually falls into the typical FF Tropes of being a quest for magic rocks.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    You're fine.

The thing is, I don't think every sector is a town. Or more correctly, the bottom sectors wouldn't all need to be towns. Topsides could be cities, but it's also obviously that some sectors are more industrial like Sector 1. There is also Sector 0, which is the Shinra building. I know Midgar is said to have been multiple town before merged together, but it would also make sense that the towns moved upward as the cities industrialized and the old towns were either torn down to make way for industry or became the shanty towns we see in the game.

Narratively speaking, I don't see a point of exploring the other sectors unless you were going to set the whole story in that location. Exploring the rest would have likely just driven home the fact that Midgar sucks, which I feel what is shown already does well. The only advantage of going topside would be to have that Solaris moment from Xenogears, but it wouldn't have been as impactful since the context is completely different. Course if the game had focused purely on the industrial dystopia/environmental terrorism aspect, then it would have been important to explore this, but we all know VII eventually falls into the typical FF Tropes of being a quest for magic rocks.
    Thanks.

You make some good points. I never thought about the possibility that some of the Sectors could be industrial or something, and not towns, so that is a possibility (I also forgot that the area with the Shinra Building is Sector 0.)

And yeah, I get what you mean; aside from my own curiosity, there isn't really any point giving us access to the other Sectors, even if they did end up being towns - without storyline reasons, it would just a few more places to visit, and like you say it would just be repeating what the other Sectors are saying to the player - that no one really wants to be there.

So yeah, my own curiosity aside, it likely wouldn't have added much, if anything.