Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Postseason Baseball 2004

Articles

Well, that's not necessarily true. Aside from Ortiz at first base, Boston's infield defense is just about as good as St. Louis'. They may not have as much range as the Cardinals, but Bellhorn, Cabrera and Mueller are fundamentally sound. And if the Red Sox can get through the starters and carry leads into the late innings, they have Doug Mientkiewicz - a two-time Gold Glover - to replace Ortiz.

that, and johnny is out of his slump for good.

neandertal/jesus
    NEVER QUESTION MR NIBBLES!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Nothing is for good in baseball.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Matchups:

1B: Pujols - Millar/Ortiz/Mientkiewicz - I'd call this an advantage for St Louis as Pujols has been playing 1B all season and won't have to make such a drastic transition from game to game like the Red Sox will. I also think Pujols is a more complete player than Ortiz, no matter how good a hitter Ortiz is. Pujols is, aside from Barry Bonds, the most dominate player in baseball.

2B: Womack - Bellhorn - I'd call this one a draw. Both get on base and play solid in the field. Womack strikes out less and puts the ball in contact more, which could be critical if St. Louis opts to run.

SS: Renteria - Cabrera - I give the advantage to St. Louis here as Renteria has played in the World Series before and has a bigger bat. Both play excellent defense, but the offense and experience for Renteria tips the scales.

3B: Rolen - Mueller - This is a HUGE advantage for St. Louis as Rolen may well be the best defensive 3rd baseman in the game, though Beltre is catching up, and he swings a serious bat. Mueller is solid defensively and is beginning to come around, but there really is no comparison here.

C: Matheny/ Varitek - HUGE advantage offensively for Boston, HUGE advantage defensively for Matheny. Overall, I'll give it to Varitek who is the heart and soul of the team.

CF: Edmonds/Damon - An interesing matchup, but overall, you have to take Edmonds here as his defense is FAR superior to Damon. If Damon continues to stay hot, he can play about evenly with Edmonds on offense.

LF: Sanders/Ramirez - slight advantage defensively for St. Louis, but Manny wins this overall matchup with his hugely superior offense, though he needs to collect an RBI in this series if the Sox want to win it.

RF: Walker/Nixon - I'd call this even as Walker's age is cancelled by Nixon's slow recovery from injury. Based on career numbers, this should be a huge advantage for St. Louis, but Walker is no where near the player who won 4 gold gloves.

DH: Mabry - Ortiz - HUGE advantage for the Red Sox.

SP: St. Louis - Red Sox - If Schilling can stay healthy, and that remains a big if, then the advantage goes to the Red Sox. However, if he cannot pitch twice in this series, I'd call the two rotations about even.

Bullpen: Overall, I give a slight advantage to the Red Sox as the St. Louis pen is nursing injuries, though the St. Louis pen was amazing this season.

Closer: I give the advantage to Foulke who was outstanding in the previous series, but neither closer is tested on the biggest stage, so things may change.

Overall: I'm going to believe the Red Sox will play well, but ultimately are too drained from the series against the Yanks and that St. Louis wins in 6. Sure, both teams had to play seven games, but the Red Sox seem destined for a letdown as everyone seems to think the championship is in the bag after finally vanquishing the Yanks. St. Louis was easily the best team in the Major Leagues this year and I think they show why.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wouldn't it be great if Boston came out 3-0 and then got beat four in a row? I would believe in curses if that happened.

Can I get an "xD" from anyone? And I remember when some commentator said that Ramirez was usually a great outfielder.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

go Red Sox!

Only regret the Sox might have is not winning the series in Boston, but they'll certainly take it.

As it's said, the games are played on the field and not on paper, and Boston just flat out, out played the Cardinals. By the way, what got in to Derek Lowe?

Congrats to the Red Sox, may they savor this victory for what looms on the horizon might not be pretty as they have a LOT of free agents this coming winter.

Take care all.

I never liked the Red Sox. I only liked them because they came back against the Yankees...of all teams.

But Cubs are the team everyone will look at now. Too bad they won't be as good next year as they were this year. The Cubs should have been in the World Series. Now a Boston/Chicago WS won't look so sexy anymore.

But I was always a Cubs fan...and an Orioles fan.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by eestlinc
    no way Boston loses in the World Series.

amazing. I thought the Cardinals pitchers were overachieving all year and when Chris Carpenter went down, the Cards starting rotation just didn't have enough to shut down an offense as great as Boston's. What an amazing team effort by te Red Sox.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd like to congratulate the Red Sox on their win of the World Series. Here's to another 86 year drought.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo Jellybean
    But Cubs are the team everyone will look at now. Too bad they won't be as good next year as they were this year.
    The Cubs sucked this year, although I agree they won't be better next year.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Does anyone else think Foulke should have gotten the MVP instead of Manny?

Has baseball always waited until after the World Series until it announces the League MVP and Cy Young awards?

Maybe I'm confusing it with the NBA, where if I recall correctly, the awards get announced before the Finals.

Foulke was outstanding. Honestly, Boston should have gotten a team MVP award because this truly was a complete team effort.

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Have they even announced them at all?