Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FF2: Is it worth playing?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

...What the hell are you talking about The Dawn of Souls FF2 is the original FF2. The one with Cecil is FF4. Some tards decided to name it FF2 because it was the second to hit North America. They fixed this annoying mistake in FF Chronicles and FF Origins.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lich3636
    i hated dos ff2 they should have had the original 2 with cecil instead
    The original FFII IS the one in DOS, except it is reworked so you don't have to spend too much time powering up. The one you are thinking of is FFIV. Don't worry, if DOS and FFIII for the DS makes enough money, SquareEnix will probably decided to port IV or some other FF game to the GBA or DS.

Anyway, I just beat FFII for the first time over the weekend. I did not like the original at all and the Playstation version annoyed me. They got it right in DOS. The game still challanges you, but it is not impossible to move the story without powering up like crazy. Also, prices are more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower
    I played a little but more and I'll admit, the game starts to pick up once you get Minwu (and you don't miss your attacks half the freaking time!). I'd still like to hear what everyone else thinks of the game.
    [SPOILER]
    The game rocks especially once u get lvl 10 spells. Although it also sucks because so many 4th playable characters die. Yes Leonheart quits the trade. The Mysidian Tower is a load of crap because it is 10 floors. 3rd floor Fire gigas ( easy) 5th floor Ice gigas ( easy) 7th floor Thunder Gigas ( Very hard harder than last boss hard) But enough with that if you just started your a way away from there. Dual masamunes rock however!!!!!!!! For both Firioniel and Leonheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich3636
    i hated dos ff2 they should have had the original 2 with cecil instead
    That wasnt the real 2 that was 4 dumbass. Yhis is the real 2

http://www.gamefaqs.com This will help U all.

Do not post more than once in a row. Use the edit/delete button and do not call anyone on this board a dumbass. ~ Leeza
    :magus:

I believe FF2 is worth the play...

I plyed the rom version, which was somewhat hard to figure out, and somewhat akward, in my oppinion. However I believe the psx version kicked arse. The stat leveling system I though was very unique and for it's time, very advanced. Heck, they still don't have a leveling system of it's stature in future games. It was thusly much harder to advance in the story without doing some serious stat increases, but, I am a power gamer who enjoys crafting god parties anyhow.

Plus we have to give FF2 much needed credit, as it was the first with a more concrete story, besides the save the crystals gig in FF1 (FF1 is a great game, just lacked somewhat in the story department).

I haven't played the GBA version of FF2... as I do not own a GBA, therefore I cannot comment on it's preformance.

I personally didnt like ff1, ff2, and ff5, and I havent played ff3. I didnt like ff1 as it had NO story. The ff2 story was okay, but I dont like the lvling system, and the prices in that game were a living hell.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I liked the story but I found the gameplay tedious.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Who's scruffy lookin'? Captain Maxx Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ieatyourchildren
    I personally didnt like ff1, ff2, and ff5, and I havent played ff3. I didnt like ff1 as it had NO story. The ff2 story was okay, but I dont like the lvling system, and the prices in that game were a living hell.
    Do yourself a favour. Never play Dragon Warrior.
    There is no signature here. Move along.

Destroyer of Worlds DarkLadyNyara's Avatar

I loved FF-2 (DoS) myself. I prefer its leveling system, because you can choose which stats to raise. But thats just me.

I beat ff1 for DOS twice over the week end and i wish they didnt play with the numbers... i was thinking about playing ff2 on it but i dont like how they give u characters rather than u choosing them, i found a nice walkthrough for ff1 on this site and if anyone has one like it for ff2 then ill beat it...

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback007
    Since I got Dawn of Souls I enjoyed FFII more then ever. I also got the Playstation-version, but there the leveling up is more annoying especially the magic. But for the storyline and the rest I think you should do it. It's really a great game.
    Sounds a lot like what I'm thinking. The NES version was okay, and the story and fan translations were great, but the battle system was very tedious since spells were slow with casting and leveled up slowly. In PSX, the music was better and the battles were faster, but the spells still leveled up extremely slowly, and the IMHO sub-par translation made me dislike the PSX version. I think NES version is still somewhat better than the PSX version (especially when there's the fast-forward button with emulators ), but I don't want to replay the NES version - finishing it once was enough for me. xD

The Dawn of Souls version seems a lot easier and user-friendly. Maybe too much easier, but at last everything levels up quite quickly while getting harder to level up on higher levels. It also seems the translation has got some reworking and the game gave me some pretty good first impressions. I still haven't played FF2 DoS for more than 15 minutes, but I'll try to get to it when I have more time.

To answer the question if FF2 is worth playing, it's probably the worst FF game there is, but that doesn't make it bad. It's a pretty good game with a great and dark story and many innovative features, but the battle system can be a problem. If you can get the DoS version, that one probably has the most enjoyable version of FF2's battle system.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi