Thread: Final Fantasy IX rereview (SPOILERS)

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Final Fantasy IX rereview (SPOILERS)

If you read my rereview thread for FFX in the FFX forum, I know I said I would be a couple of weeks. Well, I blasted my way through the rest of the game, so here I am typing it now. I decided not to wait around (I just beat the game a few minutes ago) because I am afraid that some of my...uh...reimpressions would fade away easy. Normally, this doesn't happen to me when it comes to video games, but this has been my second time playing through the game. I first beat it not long after it originally was released. Yeah, I know most people would forget a lot of stuff about a game they didn't touch too much in five...ish years, but I have a STRONG memory when it comes to these things. I don't know why FFIX kind of sliped through my memory cracks...oh well. Enough rambling. On to the rereview.

Gameplay: On the surface, it looks like the same old thing. However, there is something satisfying about the way characters learn abilities. That alone made me want to participate in every battle I encountered. I also forgot how excellent the world map design is. Everything seems to flow naturally. In some RPGS (including some FFs), the world map seems to be purposely designed around game events. Sure, the same goes for FFIX...but it is pulled of so well, that it doesn't come off that way. It feels like a real world to me. Oh, and this FF has the greatest sidequest/mini game ever. Chocobo Hot and Cold, baby! I could play an entire game based on that alone.

Graphics: Superb considering it is for the PS1. I used the texture smoothing option with the PS2 to make this great game look even better. The FMVs are also exquisite. Many of them contain great edge of your seat moments in them. However, what really cought my eye this time around was the great use of color this game offers. Most of the time, there are a variety of colors displayed at all time which keep the adventure theme in place. The creative dungeon design helped, too.

Music: Many, many great tracks here. However, unlike most fans of FFIX, I am no big fan of favorites like "Melodies of Life". Most of the game's simple music pleases my ears the most. Not much else to say here, I am a Uematsu fan!

Story: As most publications pointed out at the time of FFIX's release, Square mixed the old with the new perfectly. Just like when I played through it the first time, I felt like I was playing an old school FF game with a shiny new coat! Great dialouge, too!

Overall: FFIX is a very underrated FF. It's sad that some people can't get into it because it doesn't star an angsty protagonist or some emo guy. If you passed over this FF--try it again. You don't know what you are missing.

The giver of *hugs* boys from the dwarf's Avatar

best FF ever and probly my favourite game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
    ...*holds up free hugs sign.*

Fantastic review.

After reading that im going to replay FF9 starting tomorrow.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FF9 is the best game i ever bought. I bought it for £9.99 when i had a PSOne. It has survived through my PS2 coming and going, and even through my new Xbox. Hehe, I'm glad I never got rid of my PSOne. BEST. GAME. EVER. BOUGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by boys from the dwarf
    best FF ever and probly my favourite game.

I'm amazed you always seem to have the same opinions as me. 'Melodies of Life' sucks!
    JOY IS A BITCH, but she is so adorable!
    generated by sloganizer.net
    Kaycee says (12:06 AM):
    whos' obama?