Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: why is vivi more popular than zidane??

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He's small...I can relate.

I think everyone likes Vivi because they feel bad for him. Zidane is a total mack daddy and I personally would take a tail over a waddle anyday.
    RUSKIES LIVES!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ZidaneAndGarnet View Post
    you can dislike Zidane withoput feeling guilty about it
    What makes you say that, out of curiousity? If you mean you can Zidane dislike because he's older, yes, there is a innocence Vivi has in his apeearence, Zidane can never copy. I look at how Zidane led the group more than his appearence so I don't know.
    I'd feel really guilty about disliking an innocent little boy. But I wouldn't feel so guilty if I disliked Zidane, who is quite grown up, especially for his age.

But I love them both so...

AWww.. Vivi is one of the most adorable characters of FFIX for me. He's cute, who wouldn't like him? He waddles, who wouldn't coo at the sight of him? And he's pretty interesting. I really like the guy. No, backtrack, love him!

ballsballsballs of steel Jimsour's Avatar

Because Zidane was annoying, he had a fat head, he had a tail, he was crap, and I'll say it again, he was annoying.

Vivi on the other hand was emo, more powerful, and worked well with Steiner, another good character. He was probably one of the only characters with a background that made you go "awww".

Sums it up for me
    I'm a big fan of the Mars Bar Diet; You don't eat the Mars bar, you stick it up your arse and let a rottweiler chase you home.

ff ix is imo the best,or one of the best of all final fantasy.and it would be the best,if it didn't have such an amazing ending.why?because all the characters are individuals.they have so strong personalities,like no other characters in ff7-12(these were played,the others?i dunno).
    i think the fact,that in the end vivi dies,makes him more popular.
    despite i liked zidane more,but my favourite was freya.

I personally think its because Vivi is a child and has not got a knowledge of the outside world like Zidane. Also hes so adorable ^^

I never got the deal with Vivi. Is there nothing but two glowing eyes inside the cloak? Man if I met a black mage in a dark alley I wouldn't want to be a bystander, I tell you that much.

I loved Vivi ^_^ He's cute and he thinks waaay too much (which i can relate to), but he is also really POWERFUL. I dont know how many times that little dude saved my ass, he can learn one of the coolest spells in the game, Doomsday (which oddly enough overpowers holy), and he can even team up with Steiner on those magic sword attacks which is pretty freaking cool. And really, whats cooler than a cute innocent looking kid who can own any enemy he sees?
    I like Zidane okay, but i think the most annoying thing about him was that he was a perv and tried to be a player and failed miserably at it.

A true ffix lover Ashley Schovitz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John_912 View Post
    I'm not sure why Vivi is more popular. He's a good character I guess not my favorite though...But at least he wasn't annoying like that smurfing brat with the purple hair and the horn on her head!
    purple hair are you talking about Setzer anywqay Vivi's more popular because he's so darn cute.

Yellow Winged Angel

Originally Bespoken by Ashley Schovitz'
    purple hair are you talking about Setzer anywqay Vivi's more popular because he's so darn cute.
    Erm...no...its Eiko, and she was a huge brat, wasnt even all that useful. Her summons sucked compared to Garnets (not that i even used summons much in IX, they're kinda weak), she had a sickly obsession with Zidane...and yeah, she was just stupid, i dont know anyone who ever liked her

Note:This analysis is based on my observations as a video game collector and enthusiast, having associated with MANY other gamers with varying tastes all over the video game spectrum. Please refrain from publically humiliating me with facts and figures that disprove my theory.

The reason I like Vivi more than Zidane is because Vivi was a bit of a throw back to older FF fans. With the release of FF7, RPGs gained a much broader audience. Sure, FF3(SNES) was really popular and sold a great number of copies, but prior to FF7, most people played Marioesque games on their Super Nintendos. RPGs weren't for the average gamer. They were for the more nerdy intense gamer. I can remember owning FF2 for the SNES and being the only kid I knew that had even heard of it.

But when FF7 came out, the format changed slightly. Not in a bad way, but there was a clear difference. It was a hugely popular game and just about every I know who has owned a Playstation has owned FF7 at one point, and most of them own it still.

So now this hugely popular changes the way people view RPGs and makes Final Fantasy a common name, even amongst casual gamers. They continued with Final Fantasy VIII, also largely successful, but not as popular as FF7, I'd say.

But by this time, Squaresoft has got two groups of people to which they need cater. The newer fans brought in by 7 and 8, and the older fans who had been there since the earlier titles.

I honestly did not purchase Final Fantasy VIII. I got the demo of it with Brave Fencer Musashi, and I was not impressed. I've borrowed it and tried to play it, but I don't think it's a good game, for a lot of reasons that I will not get into right now.

And Squaresoft was beginning to lose their core base of fans, which made up virtually all of their sales prior to 1997. So I think that in order to attract that crowd back, they wanted to make a game with more similarities to the old Final Fantasy conventions, pre FF7. The image of Vivi is based on the Black Mage, which I believe you'll see plenty of in FF9, but also you'll see him in FF1, FF3, and FF5. He made an appearance in Final Fantasy Tactics, but that game has sort of become its own entity, seperate from the numbered series.

Vivi is popular amongst gamers like me because is modeled after my Black Mage's appearance from Final Fantasy I. Zidane's a fine character and serves his purpose well, but Vivi's known for his recognizeable face, or lack thereof.
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

*claps*

Bravo feioncastor, very well said. In VII and VIII, there was really no distinction between a warrior and a mage, but in IX those distinctions were brought back. Vivi looked like an actual black mage from the olden days, and Steiner like an actual knight, etc. Not only does IX bring brack alot of the old stuff from the series (such as class distinctions and actually feeling like a fantasy game), but its kind of an homage to the old games. There's a whole lot of name-dropping in this game and other references to the old games. And really, most of the people i ever see who hate or undermine IX are the VII fanatics, the ones who started off on that game and are convinced that its God.

I always find it weird when someone makes a "Which Final Fantasies have you played?" thread. I'm often dumbfounded at the number of people that consider themselves Final Fantasy fans, yet haven't bothered to play the first 6, sometimes even the first 7 or 8 or even 9. Many of them started with 10, and I write "10" instead of "X" because WAYYYYYYYYY too many people say "Final Fantasy Ecks" instead of "Final Fantasy Ten". Or a "Favorite FF Character" thread, where many people respond "Auron, Tidus, Yuna and Rikku", as though Square didn't make 9 entries into the series before releasing "Final Fantasy Ecks".

I saw this musician on MTV (which is weird because MTV doesn't usually show musicians) and he was showing a camera crew around his tour bus (no, it wasn't the show "Cribs", it was some other show) and he said, "Got a PS2 goin on... Lately I been playing Final Fantasy Ecks", and I then recalled, "Oh yeah... This is why I don't watch MTV.".
    SELF PROMOTING SIG

Click here to hear a few of my songs.

I hate these new FF fans (and by new i am including the VII die-hards). They play those and believe that nothing can be better than the first FF they played, and generally have no desire to play the old ones, or dont like them because they dont have pretty graphics. Now i'm a new FF fan, but my first was IX. When i was first deciding which to buy it was between VII and IX, and i picked IX because it actually looked like a fantasy game instead of a sci-fi game. I played VII and beat it, then sold it cuz i didnt like it enough to replay it. I bought VIII and regretted it, sold it back 3 days later. I like X alot, but it still doesnt have much of a fantasy feel to it, and the story is weird. I have all the old ones, though i've yet to beat most of them because they're hard >_< And the original Tactics seems to be a somewhat forgotten game among the new fans, but its my second favorite after IX.

And i blame the "final fantasy ecks" syndrome on poor schooling, because kids these days dont know wtf roman numerals are.