Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Veggetarians???

Quote Originally Posted by Quin 'n' Tonic View Post
    I could make you all guilty by involving starving Africans, and that clearly you're all too spoilt, but I don't actually think like that.
    ...Then I don't understand why you feel the need to say it. *shrug*

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because people are always using it against my friends and it makes me laugh

DAMNIT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT VEGETARIANS NOT QUIN BASHING!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well don't say stupid things then!

Anyone can make up crap to make other people feel bad. Hey, Quin, everytime you pass gas you cause global warming. By the time you die Alaska will be underwater because of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Unne View Post
    I managed to go a whole week without eating meat. I don't see how it's possible to go longer than that. I barely made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeza View Post
    I eat too much junk food to consider that aspect of vegetarianism.
    Are you sure? Unless huge bags of peas count as junk food.
    For me, at least, when I'm on campus for a full day (my job is on campus too) I end up at the cafeteria where the only vegetarian items are chips and candy. I have Funnyuns and Snapple for dinner a lot.

And french fries. Love 'em.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same at my school. I try so hard just to get a bagel, so hard, but fries are my favorite things ever and they caaaaall to me and I eat them. ;__; xD
    My school offers a whole vegitarian diet menu... Its all part of this "get the students to eat healthier" plan.

Visit My Website / or My Blog

I'm not, but my sister's been a vegeterian for maybe a year or so. I still have meat fairly often, but she only has fish and eggs now, and has wanted to cut out even those, but my mother has refused. It's difficult enough for my mom to get her to have enough protein and iron as it is.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm eating spaghetti with hamburger meat in it right now, and have been as I've read this entire thread, and I just now realized it, and I promise you it doesn't bother me.

There are about twenty odd head of cattle in the pastures behind my house, and I have no clue where they go when they are sold and really I don't want to know, but it doesn't get in the way of my eating meat.

It seems sorta silly to see so many people going to extremes to classify themselves by such an arbitrary means as what form the energy they put into their bodies takes, but that's just me.

I thought about being vegetarian when I was littler, but I never really managed it. Mostly because I was extremely picky back then, and a good deal of what I would eat was meat.

If cattle are bred to have no instincts any more, it would be sort of cruel to expect them to go back to living like buffalo, ranging wild over the praries. And where would they go? No matter what decisions you make today, the stock of meat living in the farms will have to go somewhere, so instead of bickering, go donate to the Heifer project to give the meat to a country whose people need it. http://www.heifer.org/

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, rubah:

1) You seem to be ignoring how most beef cattle are treated. Not just that they're killed, but how they're killed and how they're treated when they're alive. It's excessively cruel.

2) No one is suggesting we take all our current cattle stock and set them free. That's just silly. Just meat production needs to be phased down and regulated to prevent animal cruelty.

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If people want meat they should get meat. The government shouldn't artificially regulate it in an attempt curb meat intake.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not to curb meat intake, to prevent the animals from being raised in bins so that they can't move, fed hormones so that they grow so fast that their legs collapse benieth their weight, dragged to the killing for with a chain around them because they can't walk, and then hung upsidedown by and ankle so they can be stabbed in the throat to bleed to death.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree that there should be humane regulations put in place so that these practices do not occur, but I don't believe they should take precedent over supply and demand. If you don't want to eat meat because of the way the animal is treated then I can totally respect that. If enough people partake in protest then it's possible lobbying could change the situation. I'm not going to eat less meat, though.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    Not to curb meat intake, to prevent the animals from being raised in bins so that they can't move, fed hormones so that they grow so fast that their legs collapse benieth their weight, dragged to the killing for with a chain around them because they can't walk, and then hung upsidedown by and ankle so they can be stabbed in the throat to bleed to death.
    According to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse">this</a>, the animals are unconscious by the time they are hung up to be killed, usually by <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_pistol">a captive bolt pistol</a>. Not sure about animals becoming so fat their legs break.

The "meat is unhealthy" or "meat intake should be forcibly reduced" argument is ridiculous. Most food is unhealthy. I don't eat exclusively for health reasons. I eat largely because food is tasty. The "cows take up valuable land" argument can be made about anything. If everyone lived in one-room houses, the planet would be much better off. We're human beings, we like luxury. Arguing that cattle raising should be reduced for this reason is very selective and hypocritical.

Animal suffering doesn't really bother me. Something is inevitably going to suffer so I can eat. I'm in favor of reducing the suffering whenever possible, but I don't lose sleep over it. There are far more important problems in the world than miserable cows.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you choose a want for meat (not need, as most people eat a lot more meat than is healthy) over the well-being of millions of animals, I guess that's on you. I think it's pretty deplorable though.

There are also economic factors at work with subsidies and stuff. A McDonald's burger takes something like $11 to produce. But I guess you probably don't care about that either as long as you get the burger. *kicks Yams in the yams*

EDIT: I didn't say meat intake should be forcibly reduced. And what's ridiculous about excessive meat intake being unhealthy? Is eating yummy food more important than your health and the well-being of the animals in question?

So I guess you're saying you think animal suffering and taking up that extra land is okay because you think meat is yummy. That's the argument I'm seeing from you. And isn't "there are worse things so I don't have to care about this" a logical fallacy of some kind? Aren't you always on about that?

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm not here to force anyone to stop eating meat. I'm not vegetarian myself. I'm just saying this opinion you're entitled to is not cute.
    Last edited by Shlup; 11-11-2006 at 12:20 AM.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you weren't intending the set the cattle free, what's the point of complaining about their instincts being written out of them. That wasn't something you said, but someone else did, and I was addressing that.

People treat people just as cruelly as they treat animals sometimes. Maybe we should just start eating people!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    If you weren't intending the set the cattle free, what's the point of complaining about their instincts being written out of them. That wasn't something you said, but someone else did, and I was addressing that.
    Even though I wasn't the one who said it, your jumping from that to setting millions of cattle free isn't very smart either.

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    y as they treat animals sometimes. Maybe we should just start eating people!
    I'm just going to pretend you didn't even say that 'cause it's just... Uhh... <3 u anywayz?

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Soylent Green <i>is</i> people!