Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Golden Age of EoFF Forum: When Was It?

..a Russian mountain cat. Yamaneko's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't worry, guys, Kishi is still partying up in the staff forum like it's 2000. That guy has some mad moves.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't believe you. The only way to solve this problem is to make me staff. Good boy.

Those...eyebrows... Recognized Member XxSephirothxX's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical View Post
    A lot of what you're drawing attention to also coincides with the fact that a lot of people from the beginning are all growing/grown up.

Hell!
    Cid is married (anyone remember that time we had a fundraiser to buy him a *cough*?),
    Shlup is married,
    We're all in College,
    Or living Alone and Working FT jobs

Back in the day we were still kids so the world had a little glimmer and charm left in it... then suddenly like Little Jackie Paper we left the land of make believe and started seeing the world as the grotesquely realistic place it is.

Our emotional changes from young angsty, ambitious, energetic teenagers to mature, considerate adults has altered our perceptions of EoFF and perhaps its not the board that we're nostalgic about but rather our innocence we relate to that time.

The Golden Age is merely a figment of our imagination.
    That's a really good point, and I don't know why I didn't think of it, either. I mean, when I joined, most of you vets were grown up already, but I was a Junior in high school and just starting to use the Internet for more than research. It's only been two years, but I've changed quite a bit since then. I've certainly matured quite a bit, though with that has come an increasingly cynical outlook on life. You can never go back again, but then, maybe that's a good thing. It's so much easier to remember that fresh, exhilarating feeling of being a part of something than experiencing it while also living through all the crap that comes with being in high school.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    PS. LiveJournal killed the message board stars.
    That's a good point that I didn't think of. "Back in the day", message boards were the best way to interact with other denizens of the net in a way more permanent than chat. But with sites like LiveJournal and MySpace being so customizable these days, it seems that message boards have taken on a different role as some of the features of a message board are better used and improved upon by sites like LiveJournal and MySpace.

I guess it's just part of the natural evolution of the internet.
    Figaro Castle

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

In the very beginning we got lucky and a dozen or so really nice people were all that were around, and somehow we all managed to trust each other and have fun and learn from each other in spite of how screwy we all were (or still are).

But some of the people I automatically associate with this MB weren't around in the very beginning. Most people here today probably wouldn't recognize that old place as EoFF at all. I don't know if I'd call it any kind of "golden age". It was just different. I have no problem with how things are here today.

I'm going to jump the bandwagon and say I loved this place best when I first joined XP;

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This place used to be good?

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I can honestly say I've never had more fun than right now. They only thing that could make it better is something the staff won't allow, so I'm living it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
    So far playing WoW, I've shouted "ROFLCOPTER" on no less than fifteen occasions, danced as a bear at the end of a ship, and compared the Klu Klux Klan to cereal.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

EoFF has always been the same EoFF. Times have changed when the members get older, and new members come to take their place and new content is being added by the new members. EoFF is how you make it to be. Anyway, the best time would be 2002-2003 for me. Right now is also good, but I'm just not getting the best out of my buck because I'm not being active or whatnot. :P

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Not responsible for WWI Citizen Bleys's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Bleys Maynard (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bleys
    Back in the day I was a lot softer and trusted everyone. Now I have to watch my back.
    Have to say, although I'm not "watching my back", I'm definitely much more serious - this is completely to do with me being on staff, I think.
    Bull. Quitting staff didn't fix anything for me.

I think everyone has their own 'golden age' or whatever. About one year ago was when the sight was at it's utmost height for me. All of my favorite members were still here and posted regularily, the spam was fun and I was slightly more well liked than I am now. The place is a bit stagnant now, I think. At least for me it is. It's someone elses time now, I think.

I actually rather enjoyed this year on the forums. People actually know me now. About a year ago it was, 'Slade who?' :rolleyes2

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Slade who?

If you look above your post Christmas you shall witness all that is slade.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys
    Back in the day I was a lot softer and trusted everyone. Now I have to watch my back.
    Have to say, although I'm not "watching my back", I'm definitely much more serious - this is completely to do with me being on staff, I think.
    Bull. Quitting staff didn't fix anything for me.
    I got less spammy. You spammed even while you were on staff. My being serious isn't down to being jaded or angry at staff decisions, it's just about not wanting to be too spammy because I freak out that I might end up looking like the biggest hypocrite here. Anyone who knows me before I was a staff knows I have a secret desire to spam this place to hell and back. As people in the staff forum might know from my lovely old 99 bottles of beer thread, for a mere example.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!