Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The First EoFF Official Podcast!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    But you will have accents. American accents.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Okay, Canadian too, I guess.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

podcast wars

let's do this

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh dear. Did I start the accent thing?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Even if you didn't I was going to Shion.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

So predictable.

Again, as I said earlier...
    But seriously it'd be nice if people actually provided more feedback than "lol accents" as we're new to podcasts and feedback will likely have a large impact on the future of this podcast. Positive feedback will keep the podcasts coming, contstructive feedback will help make 'em better.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    As a person who spent six hours a day, every day on the phone with Daniel Towns for 4+ months, I can say quite confidently that his accent is in the complete and opposite spectrum of sexy.
    (SPOILER)kelso_burn.gif
    Figaro Castle

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

This seems relevant for Shorty and Shauna.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    So predictable.

But seriously it'd be nice if people actually provided more feedback than "lol accents" as we're new to podcasts and feedback will likely have a large impact on the future of this podcast. Positive feedback will keep the podcasts coming, contstructive feedback will help make 'em better.
    Second. I am all for conversation about how our accents are amazing and what not, we know it's true. One criticism that we know is that we are to be more structured in the future. We'll work on that for next time. Also remember that we are taking reader questions so send PMs to Locky.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    So predictable.

Second. I am all for conversation about how our accents are amazing and what not, we know it's true. One criticism that we know is that we are to be more structured in the future. We'll work on that for next time. Also remember that we are taking reader questions so send PMs to Locky.
    Yeah it could definitely benefit from more structure and someone to usher it along a bit more. The banter is amusing though I was listening to at work and at times it really dragged out a bit and it just became background noise to me until the subject changed. Banter is what makes it work but yeah in future I'd just be a bit more wary about keeping things flowing.

Much like on TV shows like Never Mind the Buzzcocks or QI etc where they banter around for a bit but then the host always gets them back on track before it starts wearing thin or dragging on. This is most likely something that will come with practice until the perfect balance is found.

Beyond that it might be an idea to get everyone to pull something from the forum in the past week or two they've enjoyed.

But for a first attempt it was really good. I especially enjoyed the Macy Gray impression

Mexicans also have North American accents, you know

Maybe I'll listen to this at work tomorrow.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Hi there, my name's Mulley. Long time listener, first time caller. I had some thoughts after listening to the show.

Do as much as you can to interact with the forums. It's a much more enjoyable show when you feel like you are part of the discussion and not being talked at. Some possibilities:
    • More name dropping. Everyone gets a warm fuzzy when they hear their name on the air. I think I only heard four or five members names throughout the entire show.
    • Full-on mail bag. You mentioned sending questions to Locky at the end of the show. Have a full-on mail bag where people can send comments, questions, feedback, etc... It would also be cool if people had a way to submit audio commentary/questions so they could "talk" and you could respond on the show. You might consider setting up a "podcast mail bag" user that people send their PMs to so that you can share the account with four or five show hosts in case Locky is MIA or other people doing the podcast need to get to the mail bag for whatever reason.
    • Perhaps create a thread a week ahead of time that will be specifically used and discussed in the next podcast. For example, you might ask everyone what they are up to over the summer, then discuss that over the air. This again helps the forum members feel like they are a part of the show. For example, one of the podcasts I listen to has a "trademark" of listeners sending in bad/corny jokes and one is picked for that week's podcast.

I don't know about the rest of the members, but my usual commute is around half an hour. I would be curious to see how long the members have to listen to the podcast in one sitting. I imagine quite a few will listen in the car, train, bus, etc... Knowing what your average "listener length" is would help to tailor the length of the show to make it easily digestible. You could also look into splitting the show up into 10-15 minute segments and then people can listen to as little or as much as they have time for.

The tangents and side bars are inevitable and fun but a couple of times I found myself ready for the conversation to move on when they went a little long.

Just like you had a rundown of topics at the top of this thread, a quick rundown of what's going to be discussed during the podcast is always a nice touch. You might also consider a somewhat standardized format. This will make it easier for you to generate a show as you don't have to try to throw crap at random into the show and hope it works, especially if you're trying to stay within a certain time constraint of the show length. One possibility:
    • Hello's, introductions, a minute or two of idle banter with required good-natured jabs between hosts.
    • Run-down of the show's schedule/content/topics
    • News/Happenings related to EoFF
    • News/Happenings related to SE and/or the gaming world
    • Main topic 1 - Discussion of forum thread created specifically for podcast
    • Main topic 2 - Something Final Fantasy/SquareEnix'y to discuss
    • Mail bag

Of course, the above might be too structured for your taste and you might want something more organic.

I think that's about it for now. All-in-all I thought the show was well done and you had fun with it, which is the most important part. The audio quality was also very nice and everyone was easy to understand and hear, which always seems to bite a lot of new podcasts in the ass.
    Figaro Castle

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Thanks Mulley for your feedback. :3

We do have a general structure of how the podcast will go down on a week to week basis. There was a vague notion of it throughout it, but we just need to work better at keeping it flowing. It is something we identified pretty early on that we need to improve on, so stay tuned for the next one! Hopefully we'll be better in that regard. We did not prepare in the slightest before this podcast (could you tell? xD), and just winged it the whole way through - for future installments we will have better prior planning. Locky will just have to put her foot down at points and say "So, onto News!".

We are planning to have as much forum interaction as we can - the mail-bag is coming (hopefully), and we will name-drop more, I'm sure, as the podcast goes on, and maybe a thread could work! We'll just have to see how it goes.

there's nothing bad about forced transitions/fake segues imo (e.g. "on that note, something completely different"). you wanna stay focused to keep listener focus.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

no sorry

i know you want feedback daniel & co but i can't allow this trout to stand

sarah "americans don't have accents" cobb

What language are you speaking you awful person? It's English. Not American. Now, who do you think speaks with the pure and correct form of the language called English? HINT: The English. Do you sound English? No, no you do not. Therefore you have an accent. And may I just take the time to say it's a paricularly woeful accent, far worse than Scotch or Geordie.

Oh yeah and don't go pulling "heh but here's shakespeare english it sounds different!" on me again Huxley. Old English is not the same as English, it's smurfing dead and thus irrelevant. Modern English is Received Pronunciation, suck it down.