Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Golden Compass[movie]

Quote Originally Posted by Vivisteiner View Post
    I actually like the reply to this question...

"How can you let these people do those things to your books!?"

"What are you talking about? My book is still sitting there on that shelf, completely unchanged."

Or something like that.
    True true, but there are a lot of people walking around out there who will never read the book, thinking the film is an accurate representation, which it usually isn't. Then there are people who want to read the book after seeing the movie, but don't take it as an individual work, thus ruining any objective view they might have otherwise had.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow, what the crap was that? I feel like I watched something that was still in the early stages of editing and accidentally got released the way it was. The entire narrative, flow, and editing of the movie was so incredibly crappy.

The acting was fine, some of it was even great. I think the actress who played Lyra got it pretty perfect as did Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Coulter.

But I seriously didn't feel like I was watching a movie. It felt like I was watching pieces of a movie that was hastily flung together with little regard for character development, timing, or anything. Ew.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

See I told the movie was still even bad even for people who have no knowledge of the book, it's an insult.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    The acting was fine, some of it was even great. I think the actress who played Lyra got it pretty perfect as did Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Coulter.
    Apart from the fact that Mrs. Coulter had black hair, y'mean?

Yay, I finally got around to seeing this. Except I wasn't happy with it. It's just kind of okay, but not much more.

I am not the type that gets soggy panties over changes. I like the later Harry Potter films that change things from the book to adapt to the medium of movies. I get that it happens.

But this movie...It's like they took all the highlights of the book and went down a list, checking one after the other until they were all in. Then they strung them together without even pretending to have pacing. It was barely even coherent.

Oh, well. I thought the acting was good and the special effects were amazing of course. Nicole Kidman is always a sure bet.

According to boxofficemojo, this movie only made about 48 mil in the United States and about a hundred mil overseas. The movie cost 180 million dollars, plus advertising, so I highly doubt they will bother to make the other two considering its disappointing performance.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hears a question for you all - are yous still Final Fantasy fans?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Harle-Quin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Apart from the fact that Mrs. Coulter had black hair, y'mean?
    And Kidman is a natural redhead, what's your point? Acting ability has nothing to do with hair color.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I missed the part in the books where she had black hair the first time, so when I realized she was supposed to have black hair, it was pretty dumb sounding, so if that's just a mis-interpretation, I think it was for the better.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I think Mrs. Coulter suited blonde hair. I dunno, I associate blonde hair with "goodness", for some reason - so when she turns out to be some really evil person inside, there's a big contrast between her appearance which is amazing, and wonderful; and her actual personality.

But that's just me.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Harle-Quin View Post
    I want to see it. I'm assuming it'll be like most book-cum-movies and be a disappointment if you've read the book. I hear it's a very good movie though, and it certainly looks to be more accurate than other bookmovies.

I'm still pissed at the United States of Dumbass for changing the name of the book. Was Northern Lights really that complicated, folks? And it's not even a pissing compass, dolts.
    I agree. I went to see it with my girlfriend and we were both very unimpressed with the name change. How hard is it to use the name of the book? Or, if the name had to be changed, call it a damn Alethiometer like its supposed to be.