Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst 12345678910142454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie you watched and your critique of it

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Public Enemies.

It's a good film, but it's not something you should pay to see in the cinema. It's worth maybe a fiver when on DVD. Having said that, it is a good film, I just don't agree with paying more than a tenner for a movie. Even when you know the history behind Dillinger, you still find yourself hoping he (SPOILER)somehow manages to escape. Bear in mind that it is actually a fairly slow film. The adverts and trailers make it all seem to be about bank robberies and gunfights, but it's not. It is not an action flick. It's about the violence as much as The Prestige is about the magic. The main part about the film is about the drama of John Dillinger's life when he wasn't getting rich.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0WjWlVO9w">Barton Fink</a>. Great!
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0jkv2bRFgQ">This Is England</a>. Greater!

Silence of the Lambs on Blu Ray. Looking and sounding better than ever this movie gets better with hage. Hopkins and Foster are utterly compelling. The best thriller ever made. FACT!
    I will never be a memory.

Watched Soylent Green again last night. Puts modern science fiction to shame.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Spirited Away is not Miyazaki's best movie in my opinion, but it is still fantastic and magical.

On that note I just watched Laputa: Castle in the Sky. It is enchanting, magical and wonderful

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post

On that note I just watched Laputa: Castle in the Sky. It is enchanting, magical and wonderful
    OOOOH! Is that the one with the robot that protects the little girl? And the weird man chest fight thing at the beginning? I started watching something like that on Channel 4 but had to leave it. I freaking loved it though. Unfortunately I didn't know and couldn't find out what it was called. "robot girl man chest" does NOT Google well. *shudder*

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

It was either The Cat Returns or Tales of Earthsea. I watched them on the same day so I'm not really sure which one I watched first. Anyway, I like them both, two very good anime movies...pretty different but good in their own way.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post

Is that the one with the robot that protects the little girl?
    yes

And the weird man chest fight thing at the beginning?
    wut
    someone else confirm/deny

Blog Entries

17 again... 7/10 not baaad, but not brilliant. Still a good film for what I paid

Poltergeist on Blu Ray. Looked and sounded great. Still a lot of fun to watch
    I will never be a memory.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by vivi_lover666 View Post
    lemme guess... Because it's a Japanese movie, it's suddenly the best movie ever
    Nope but the fact that Miyazaki's works have inspired many at Disney, I think that says something. The bonus content in Spirited Away mentions how they went to the flight scenes in Miyazaki's work to help inspire them while working on Fantasia 2000. Basically, it is sorta agreed across the board that Miyazaki is brilliant. Disney does a real good job of dubbing the studio Ghibli movies too.

Last movie I saw was 銀色の髪のアギト (Origin: Spirits of the Past). Was a pretty decent movie that explored the theme of man vs nature and to the extent humanity will try and control nature. It was not brilliant but still a good movie.

Before that was GI Joe. So mediocre.

I saw Ponyo this past Sunday and I thought it was really great despite it's predictable plot.
    I think this was the first Miyazaki movie where it didn't drag on for me and the main characters were pretty cute.
    9/10

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

I watched Aladdin earlier because I saw it on TV and was really, really bored.

I actually kinda liked seeing it again after so many years, and not for nostalgia either. There's alot of subtle references and impressions that Robin Williams did that I didn't catch/get when I was younger, and I hate to admit it, but I kinda like the genie song (shut up).

The Space Pope approves of this movie even if it was cliched and kinda corny 8/10
    derp

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Wendy and Lucy. Some random low-budget or indie or film festival or some crap movie from a collective called mongrel media or something. I watched another one of their movies called One Week before Wendy and Lucy, and it was pretty good. Wayyyy too Canadian (but this is a good thing).

Wendy and Lucy is amazing. It's about a girl (Wendy) and her dog (Lucy) and their journey to Alaska. Basically the story starts with them at random point X on their journey. Wendy's car breaks down in a random town and things just start to go to - and she has no money! She gets arrested for stealing dog food for Lucy, and that's when stuff gets really depressing because: (minor spoiler) (SPOILER)Lucy is missing from the pole outside the grocery store after Wendy is released from fingerprinting etc..

It is a really well made film. If I remember right, there isn't any music in it at all and the dialog is pretty sparse too. The girl who plays Wendy is amaziiiiiing~~ There is one specific scene where she sleeps in a forest and a crazy guy comes up to her and she has a little freak out after. Honestly two of the best scenes in any movie I've seen.

Overall, the director does the whole "this isn't a feature film therefore has to have extended shots of dark forest with train noises in the background" thing a lot. And by that I mean some scenes drag on for too long - but the plot and characters and acting way than make up for it.

THE END IS THE MOST HEARTBREAKING THING EVER.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Inglourious Basterds - Brilliant. I really enjoyed it to a much greater extent than I thought I would. I thought I'd end up disappointed as I was looking forward to it, but thankfully not. Christoph Walz was absolutely brilliant.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.