Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected purchases

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Unexpected purchases

I just bought KOTOR2 on Steam despite my hating the original on almost every level possible. Why did I do this? Aside from it being $2.50, I bought it solely to try another Obsidian game because New Vegas was awesome. I figure if they could take the mediocre snore fest that was Fallout 3 and make something worth playing out of it's worthless carcass, perhaps they did the same with KOTOR.

Anyone else made any purchases recently that they never expected to make? Even better, were you happy with them after the fact?
    Last edited by Slothy; 11-22-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Blog Entries

I just randomly bought Hidden Invasion for PS2; I'd never heard of it until recently. Haven't played it yet but apparently according to most reviews, it sucks.

I did buy some other stuff unexpectedly. The latest game was Warriors Orochi 3 because I didn't know the price had dropped already. The game's pretty awesome.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Yes, isn't it likely that you'd create a new thread to criticize KOTOR instead of using the Unpopular Opinions Thread, Vivi22, if that's your real name. But I know for a fact that your highly intricate network of criminal activity will eventually trap you with more credit card fees from Steam than any other place.

lolol if you didn't like kotor...kotor 2 might be...exactly what you played.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    Yes, isn't it likely that you'd create a new thread to criticize KOTOR instead of using the Unpopular Opinions Thread, Vivi22, if that's your real name. But I know for a fact that your highly intricate network of criminal activity will eventually trap you with more credit card fees from Steam than any other place.
    I've given you a glimpse, just a tiny one, at what I'm capable of. But you're going to have to stay on topic now. Because if you don't...

I will burn you.

I will burn the HEART out of you!

Plus I think I actually did express my dislike of KOTOR and all things Bioware in the unpopular opinions thread. They just deserve repeat mentioning because I can.

On topic though: I also used to buy games solely based on cover art/box descriptions when I was a kid sometimes. It led to my discovery of the greatest N64 game of all time when I walked into Toys R Us and purchased Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon on a whim. I had never even heard of the game prior to my going there that day. It's a wonder sometimes that I never bought a game I didn't like as a child.

Blog Entries

I'm with you, Vivi. Other than Jade Empire, I can't stand Bioware. They managed to screw up Sonic even more than what Sega did!
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Nothing recently, but my favourite unexpected purchase was finding Persona 4 for £5 in my local game shop. Entirely unexpected that I even saw it in shops, it's a rarity. :3

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, I just popped onto Steam to see if KotOR was still up for grabs with the intent of buying it if my laptop could run it. I couldn't find it in the sales, but what I did find was Bastion, which works an absolute dream. The narrator whispers honey and cream into my eager ears.

These Steam sales kill me. I still probably have a dozen games I've never played that I bought from them. I'm trying to resist them until I finish all the games I have. I don't think I'll be able to though, especially come the Christmas/New Years sale. D:

Articles
    Blog Entries

This whole year's kinda been like that. I've been wanting a new laptop for a while, but for some reason I finally timed it around Diablo III. I know the criticisms and I share a lot of them, but it was a real cool way to set off my return to PC gaming.

The steam summer sale was full of unexpected purchases, but when this stuff is going for $5-10 can you really say you were surprised?

In any case, I think it's incredibly bizarre that I own Batman: Arkham City for the PC.

I also never thought I'd be buying games like Oblivion and Risen, but I'm about 40 hours into Oblivion and liking it quite a lot.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    Well, I just popped onto Steam to see if KotOR was still up for grabs with the intent of buying it if my laptop could run it. I couldn't find it in the sales, but what I did find was Bastion, which works an absolute dream. The narrator whispers honey and cream into my eager ears.
    And then, the Kid fell to his death.

I wasn't expecting to ever buy any Hearts of Iron 3 stuff but I did so a couple of days ago and it's proving... better than it used to be. Still not as good as 2 but the combined expansions have brought it up to a pretty playable state.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That happens painfully often when trying to navigate an isometric landscape with only a D-pad.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Quinter Wonderland View Post
    KotOR is still reasonably cheap at £3.49. Put your hand in your pocket, man!

Today on a whim I bought Skyrim in the Steam sale as it was on offer for half price. No idea if I'll play it in the near future, but thought I'd nab it while it was on offer.

I want to buy so many games but uggggggggh weddings are too smurfing expensive.

Someone lavish me with gifts so I can feel like you love me.

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I haven't made any impulsive game purchases as of late, but I saw Mists of Pandaria for $14.99 and was very tempted. :<

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.