Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumours About The Next Gaming Generation

Default Rumours About The Next Gaming Generation

So what do you think of this article regarding the next gen of gaming?

Well, Yoshi's Land for Wii U has already been leaked and there's already been plenty of reports about a 3D Mario and 3DS Zelda, so it fits in line with those.

If that article is true, then the next generation sounds like it'll be quite savage in terms of competition.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hahahahahahahahaha.

No.

I can't give this guy credit for predicting Castlevania or Kingdom Hearts HD. Who didn't? This dude is totally all over the place without the slightest care for believability. If the PlayStation omniveiwer, turning any TV into a 3DTV thing wasn't ridiculous enough, there's this:

only the top-tier of the triple A studios such as Infinity Ward, Crystal Dynamics, ect only having next-gen level technology
    Infinity Ward doesn't exist anymore, and it was never top tier when it comes to graphics. In any case, big publishers have been begging for a next gen. Pretty much all of EA's internals studios are using the next-gen ready Frostbite 2 engine, and there's already a range to choose from, with CryEngine 3, idTech 5, and Unreal Engine 4. Even Gabe Newell admitted Source 2 is ready, they're just waiting for the right game to debut it with. So Sony and Microsoft working together to court developers and starve the Wii is not only ridiculous because there's little courting needed...

it would also be illegal.

The one thing that's pretty big that the article got right is Cloud-Streaming. Sony bought Gaikai a few months back (a post which got no replies... ) and that's going to make for something really interesting on PlayStation 4. That means being able to choose a game from the PlayStation Store, pressing the X Button, and begin playing it just about instantaneously. You know how PlayStation Plus already gives you free AAA games as part of their "Instant Game Collection?" Well, now it really is going to be an instant game collection.

On the other end, everyone expects Microsoft to have a next iteration of Kinect shipped along with the console. It's been a huge hit for them, despite the lack of experiences (Dance Central 3 anyone?). But I'm also assuming we'll see the next iteration of Xbox Live, which will probably be really cool. They actually have my #1 prediction that I'm guaranteeing right now and remember you heard it here first:

The next Xbox will launch the same day as that year's Call of Duty.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Infinity Ward doesn't exist anymore
    Haven't had the chance to read the article yet, but I thought it worth mentioning that Infinity Ward does still exist. Though it's certainly not the same development team it used to be since most of the people who worked on Call of Duty up to MW2 left a few years ago now. Maybe that's what you meant Bolivar, but I figured simply stating they were gone might confuse a few people.

I have to laugh a little at that part you quoted referring to Crystal Dynamics as a triple A developer though. Maybe they'd have access to next-gen tech or specs, if they exist, since they're a subsidiary of Square-Enix now, but aside from some Tomb Raider games, which haven't seemed tremendously popular in the last several years (hype around the reboot excepted of course), they haven't really done much in the last ten years.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's what I meant. When those people left, they needed 3 studios to complete Modern Warfare 3: Sledgehammer, Raven, and Treyarch, 4 if you count Beachhead. I just can't imagine that they'll remain an actual branded studio much longer, much less one that can complete a full game by itself.

Crystal Dynamics... I like their pedigree, but they certainly don't qualify as top tier. To me, those are DICE, Naughty Dog, Crytek, Guerrilla Games, Polyphony Digital, Sony Santa Monica, CD Projekt Red and 4A Games, the guys who have already made video games that could already qualify as a next-gen game on a console, or additionally Epic and Valve, who are ready to make that kind of game.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Wow, The Next Gimmicks Generation..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Hahahahaha. Even the "Versus is cancelled" rumor was more believably written than this one.

I honestly don't think there will be a next console gen. At least, not in the traditional sense, and certainly not anytime soon.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Sony will re-open SCE Studio Liverpool as full fledged development studio and let them rebrand themselves back to Psygnosis. (y) It will be glorious.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Sony will re-open SCE Studio Liverpool as full fledged development studio and let them rebrand themselves back to Psygnosis. (y) It will be glorious.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I honestly don't think there will be a next console gen. At least, not in the traditional sense, and certainly not anytime soon.
    What? And what?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I do think there will be a PS4 and/or Xbox 720 or some equivalent someday. Too much money out there for the big two to not cash in. It may be something completely different or it may just be updating the graphics capabilities.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The NextBox is supposedly appearing Christmas 2013. :3

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I do think there will be a PS4 and/or Xbox 720 or some equivalent someday. Too much money out there for the big two to not cash in. It may be something completely different or it may just be updating the graphics capabilities.
    I at least hope that Sony have learned their lesson from this generation that they can't just rely solely on Graphics to sell consoles anymore. Hopefully for the PS4 they adopt a more flexible approach to the PSN service too so that we don't have repeats of the DLC issues that have plagued some of the major cross-platform titles on the PS3.

yeah, im not seeing a PS4 happening for like another 3 years, Sony's big on their "10 Year Plan", anything before Sony says otherwise is just rumor and speculation... as for Console Generations, Nintendo just bucked that trend by basicly releasing the Wii2.0 in the 2nd half of the 7th Gen...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the Wii U is a "bridge between" this current generation, and the next one. I have no idea of what numbered generation this is but based on Elly's post were in the seventh so to Wii U is basically Generation 7.5.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nintendo get their own generation cycle, separate from the classifications of the others. It's an act of kindness, really.