Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Japanese game developers must overcome their inclination to certain tropes, such as the dependence on younger characters as protagonists.

One example comes to mind when early drafts of Final Fantasy XII had Basch has the main character, yet they eventually ended up creating Vaan to make the game more palatable to Eastern audiences.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    Japanese game developers must overcome their inclination to certain tropes, such as the dependence on younger characters as protagonists.

One example comes to mind when early drafts of Final Fantasy XII had Basch has the main character, yet they eventually ended up creating Vaan to make the game more palatable to Eastern audiences.
    This is what I came here to say. It's harder for adults to connect to characters who are all sixteen and seventeen-years-old going out to save the world. It really started with FFVIII and has been that way since. I'm not saying they can't have younger characters, just that it would really help if there was a range of age, like in FFIV, FFVI, and to some extent, FFVII.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I dunno, age and what I can only describe as bluntness (bloody faces, dirty clothes and swear words) are the only things missing. Religion, prostitution, racism, slavery, corruption, sex, loss of loved ones through war/murder/etc, corporatism, terrorism, broken families... the bases have been covered. It's a fantasy game, remember. You can't make it too real or you lose the fantasy. Also, perhaps one of the more adult things about FF is that they can touch on such topics without having to resort to a whole lot of swearing.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you can make something that is simultaneously entertaining for a child and deep and meaningful to an adult, then you effectively win at subtlety and storytelling. And you have just made a game that will remain popular for decades. Called FFVI.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post

An even better example would be Nier. It is about a father whose daughter is stolen away, and his story to save her. Nier Gestalt (I believe it is called) is the same game except instead of Nier being her father, they changed this to make him her brother. They actually released two seperate games because Japan didn't like the old ugly man. It is crazy.

That being said, Nier is really really ugly. I suppose I can see the reasoning... xD

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He's the one with underpants on his face, right?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

He is indeed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I agree. While Final Fantasy is not nearly as bad as other JRPG franchises, I think some more mature themes and less archetypical plots and characters would do the franchise a service, especially as it appears to be getting stale with my many increasingly older gamers. Keep in mind, the "Golden Age" of Final Fantasy is now older than a rather large demographic of video game players themselves and those who appreciated the games IV-X are now in their 20's or even 30's.

To be honest, I would like to retire the teenaged protagonists and world-saving plots a bit for something a little less wholesome. I'm not saying we go all M-rated and make a Gears of War RPG (I'd argue that would be going backwards), but some moral ambiguity and more nuanced handling of violence, sex, ethics, and the like could do the franchise good.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Quint Eastwood View Post
    Maturity =/= brown.
    This. While the games listed in the OP are more "adult" I do find this strange trend to think that dystopian settings and lots of dull colors means it's adult. Just because they aren't trudging through zombies doesn't mean it's not adult.

But yes the young protagonist thing needs to be toned down.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I have no problem with having young protagonists exactly. I just think they work better in an ensemble cast rather than a one-person story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Square admits that they want to follow George Lucas, and take something that can appeal to everyone, and make it with only kids in mind anymore. They basically admit they don't know how to do real drama [...] So I'm more inclined to believe Final Fantasy games these days are indeed for kids. And Square themselves have admitted as much
    Source?
    I'll have to hunt it down. The topic blew up a couple years ago. There was a thread on here somewhere about it. It was an interview done with one of the directors or CEOs of Square-Enix, after getting a lot of flack for a lack of maturity in their games. They basically paraphrased George Lucas, in the feeling that they don't want to grow with their audience, they want to continually capture and re-capture younger audiences. Though it was probably with Kotaku who may have taken pieces out of context to fit their agenda. But I'll see what I can dig up in the meantime

Edit: Found a link to a portion of the interview in question

http://www.giantbomb.com/final-fanta...future-241270/

In terms of the age group we target with each new game, it remains the teens to 20-somethings
    This is the part that created so much George Lucas heat, with regards to fans wanting their favorite franchise to grow up with them, and continually being let down, and given main protagonists in the 16-year-old range
    Last edited by Vyk; 10-24-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Cool, thanks. That was around the time I wasn't really following FF as thoroughly due to only having a fleeting interest in XIII so no wonder I missed that.

It's certainly intriguing and it'll be interesting to see how XV fits into all of this considering the cast image so far, there seems to be a bit more of an age spread with the main characters.

Indeed. I'll be the first to admit I probably give the series a little too much grief, and continue to hope for miracles in the form of rose colored nostalgia glasses. But I just don't think it's impossible, and I keep holding out hope, and keep setting myself up for disappointment. But if any game in the series in recent years stands a chance at winning me back over, I think VX is a good bet. I'm genuinely interested, and I haven't been interested since like FFX, I think

An interesting note, when I was searching for that interview, the only things that originally came up was about how XIV is now targeted towards more adult-oriented audiences. And insinuations that Square may be shying away from the previous stance. Like I said, the interview is now a few years old, so it's possible they've changed their minds, and future games will embrace adult fans. In which case I'm giving them crap for nothing. Though I do vote with money when at all possible when it looks like they want to step in the right directions. So I haven't completely sworn them off either. Just a jaded fan

What does VX stand for? Very eXciting? Verge of eXploding? Virtually eXtraterrestrial?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

...15? :P It's not like RPG Maker VX, where they just put those letters there to look pretty. This one is actually roman numerals. I presume you were joking. But just in case, I'm answering anyway