Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Unique" Holiday Traditions

Default "Unique" Holiday Traditions

Everyone has their usual holiday traditions, get the family together, decorate the house, maybe watch "It's A Wonderful Life", but I'm wondering, what are some holiday traditions that you have that might not be so universal? For example:

My dad and I have made it a holiday tradition to watch "Bad Santa" on Christmas Eve the last few years because the film just flat-out makes us both laugh. It's not exactly the kind of tradition you'd expect to share with your father, but I enjoy it.

I always perform a holiday show, either with a friend or lately with the band I'm a part of. The last three years, we've played at my local elementary school to great results and before that we'd play local bars, churches, frankly any place that would give us thirty minutes to sing and entertain.

These traditions don't have to be Christmas traditions per se, but just traditions that you go through during the holiday season that you feel are more unique to you and less universal.

Take care all.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm...well my family usually goes shopping for a new ornament for each person every year...We didn't do that this year, probably due to lack of free time on my dad's part

Blog Entries

My family usually get always problems with each other... it's not a tradition but it's becoming one

We always watch national lampoon's christmas vacation. When I was younger we would sing happy birthday to Jesus and have a birthday cake for him now we just get drunk and fall over alot on the dance mat. All though this year we hope to add sing star and guitar hero to the tradition

:kaoyatta:

We throw money up in the air every night until New Years. It's supposed to bring good luck and good fortune. I think it's an old tradition from the Philippines.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

I want to party with yumi on Christmas.

Nobody in the family celebrates anymore, so I usually get Chinese delivered, watch TV and drink eggnog.

We don't talk to each other.

At all.

Until mid-January.

It works.

SInce its really moist where I live we shoot fireworks. I always spend tons of money from the Fourth of July, and we fire off the extras I cant say what else we do.......

Contributions
    • Contributions to former EoFF Map

The Family Roast

We don't exchange presents with the older people in our family so when you hit 16 you're invited to the Family Roast that's basically an dinner feast with a lot of drinking and then we pull out family albums and tell stories about each other and laugh at other's expense.

Christmas Eggs

It's a personal tradition to save me money: all kids under 12 get a paper mache balloon sized egg painted white green and red filled with candy.

Boldly go.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Unusual for me this is, but probably not for everyone else.

I wear a santa hat from the day I break up from school till Boxing Day, all day.

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

I honestly though that EVERYBODY had a buffet tea/dinner on Christmas eve, It was only last year I realised that infact, its only us.

Another one is, usually, Christmas Day is strictly intimate family only. Though that only lasts the morning, as we usually have a relative over for lunch

On Boxing day we all go to someone's house for another buffet, and a party.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I suppose a Christmas tradition for my family, is to go up to my Grans' on Boxing Day. We've always done that, for as long as I can remember. The adults get drunk, and I play the playstation, promising my cousins a shot, but I never let them.

Articles

Besides the uber-marathon of "A Christmas Story" on TBS, I'm always at my great-grandma's house for breakfast with the entire family and presents on Christmas morning.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Every year for the past 3 years we have had major blowups of house appliances. This year it was the washer and drier and the dishwasher, last year it was my laptop and my desktop (toppy I miss you!!!) Needless to say with all the gifts and the repairs we have been pretty broke for the last 3 years.

Good thing we have had a family tradition of only buying one "big" gift for all the grownups (like a secret Santa), and one "medium" for each of the family's kids.
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

FFXIV Character

Linkle Grey (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I suppose a Christmas tradition for my family, is to go up to my Grans' on Boxing Day. We've always done that, for as long as I can remember. The adults get drunk, and I play the playstation, promising my cousins a shot, but I never let them.
    Thats exactly what our parties are like xD