Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Thread: Midorisa's art thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

I love the ghostly white face juxtaposed with the monochromatic surroundings. I also like the sharp edges you give her face and her hat. Very striking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I love the ghostly white face juxtaposed with the monochromatic surroundings. I also like the sharp edges you give her face and her hat. Very striking.
    Thank you. It's quite androgynous character, especially in Yoshitaka Amanos drawings, in anime and manga you can tell more clearly he is a man when compared to other characters. And I like androgynous aspects in characters, so tend to sometimes push that quite far so it might be hard to tell if you're not seeing nothing but the face .

Blog Entries

Default Fanart portrait

I got a bit frustrated when painting other image, and found an old sketch I did some months ago but never painted it any further. I thought that I needed to do something else, and I painted this as a quick practice. It's something like a blend of a 'cartoon like' style and semi-realism, as I wanted to have those bigger eyes. I'm a bit stressed about the portfolio thing and all, so it must be why I felt that what I do isn't enough and things come a bit too fast. Thoughts swirl in my mind saying something like "give me time, even an years and I'm at whole new level and slightly more ready!" I always thought that those things are a bit more relevant maybe a few years from now, when I would have built up more experience and skill. I don't know if it's true when I've heard many artist say that they took their first job even thought feeling they weren't ready for it and felt they're not good enough. That's my personal ramble again, let's move to the more interesting part of this post :P.

Fan art from Fullmetal Alchemist, Edward Elric. Thanks you all for being interested again and commenting, I appreciate the feedback!

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    This thread always makes me wanna cry.

It's just all so beautiful
    Aaw thank you so much!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Wow, you really do have quite a talent. I know you've worked hard to craft skills like that, so you deserve all the hard earned praise.

I personally appreciate how you stay loyal to the original game designs (particularly FFVII) versus the updated looks some of the characters have gotten. Vincent and Cloud have gotten much more emo-ish and dark over the years. It all has your style, but I think you get the difference I'm talking about.

I'd be curious to see your style applied to Katsuhito Otomo's or H.R. Giger's character designs. Also more of your own original stuff. Keep up the hard work!

Blog Entries

Default Finnish spirits/gods part II

Okay, just updating again with traditional stuff. A second piece to the Finnish ancient god and spirits series I decided I would try to do. It's also a good reason for me to keep my sketchbook with me as it's refreshing doing something that gives me more free hands when designing, not just fan art all the time. I went for more cartoon-like/decorative style even more than usual, as I wanted to have that soft and exaggerated face and feel. I also loved some anime series when I was little, done in the late 80's, (I remember there was just 2 poorly dubber VHS videotapes in the nearest library, and I watched them over and over again not knowing a thing about anime or manga). The style used in them and how the features were made fascinated me and charmed me like no other cartoon I had seen before that. So it's kind of paying homage to that part of my childhood.

It's nice to give more freedom to myself, especially with these traditional sketches. It gives me opportunity to try different styles and really bend things and have fun.
    Anyway, the character: Vellamo is a gentle and good spirit of water, vedenhaltia. There's also a water spirit with a darker nature, Näkki, that lures people near water to drown and die. More about that when I have the drawing done .

Anyway, thank you all for the positive feedback and being interested, I appreciate it truly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Wow, you really do have quite a talent. I know you've worked hard to craft skills like that, so you deserve all the hard earned praise.

I personally appreciate how you stay loyal to the original game designs (particularly FFVII) versus the updated looks some of the characters have gotten. Vincent and Cloud have gotten much more emo-ish and dark over the years. It all has your style, but I think you get the difference I'm talking about.

I'd be curious to see your style applied to Katsuhito Otomo's or H.R. Giger's character designs. Also more of your own original stuff. Keep up the hard work!

Thank you for your insightful feedback! And yes, it isn't just that mysterious talent but like in all things, you must work hard to become better and better. You won't be "talented" if you just sit around, it's not something you just have and that's that you're awesome. I know that because I stopped drawing for few years, and I had some quite long seasons in my life when I couldn't say I was really intensively drawing, not when compared to the amount I draw now, which is everyday and many hours. I was told I was talented when I was a child, but it of course it was just in small schools and I was the only kid that liked to draw a lot. But, now I know that It just meant that I had potential to become good someday if I would really polish that skill I had in some raw form. I also believe that talent is so many things, being interested in art and colors and visual things, having good visual memory or things like that,. But, It's also a hard work if you look at the time you put in it. The things is, you like it so much that most of the time it doesn't feel like 10 hour work day at all, at least that is my case.

I personally like the original FFVII designs, as they are to me at least, the first ones and portray the characters the best, like they should be. So I try to get some of that atmosphere and 'character aura' to my drawings as well. I'm all happy and honored if I actually could capture even some of that atmosphere in a way that the viewer can sense it too.

I'll see what I can do with your suggested ideas. I like Giger's dark works and eerie faced characters, and Akira is a classic. Jenova from FFVII has some similarities to his (Giger) designs. Really interesting idea, and it would give me a change to experiment with my style . Thank you for you comment, I'll definitely keep working hard!

Blog Entries

Default Fanart portrait II

More speed practice with portraits. Fullmetal Alchemist fan art, Mira Olivier Armstrong. I really appreciate how women are portrayed in the manga, not just adoring men and heroes of the story but being in important roles such as leaders, warriors and overall strong individuals.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I like all the layers in the hair. You create some interesting textures that way.

Blog Entries

Default Traditional update - Louhiatar The Witch of The North

witch_of_the_north___louhiatar_by_midorisa-d9292in.jpg

Another traditional one done for the ancient Finnish gods/spirits series. She isn't a god thought, but a powerful witch with the ability to shapeshift and cast powerful spells. She rules the north, Pohjola, as it's Queen. In Kalevala poems, It is written that she gave birth to three sons, named cripple, carcass and blind, witch then shot the first lumbago into man. In other poems it's said that instead of three she gave birth to 9 children, causing all different illnesses, plague and pain. Shes also a mother of wolves, and in one poem she shapeshifts herself into a big eagle and chases the men who stole her treasure. So the feathers link to that story and her ability shift shape.

Shes a strong witch and character, so even though shes described as older woman in the poems, I decided to make her ageless being.

I'll update again!
    Last edited by Midorisa; 08-11-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I like all the layers in the hair. You create some interesting textures that way.
    Thank you very much! I'm still experimenting with painting styles and that's why I want to try as many things as I can.

Blog Entries

Default Little update

Something from my sketchbook. She's a nature spirit that controls trees and their roots and growth. Her name is Liekkiö, and sometimes she's thought the be some kind of ghost spirit as well. Her name includes a word that means flame, liekki. It is said that you can see will-o'-wisp, virvatuli, a ghostly lights in dark places that have little population or near the water surface, and if you cause too much noise, they disappear. It's believed that they are some kind of supernatural spirits, and therefore there is a lot of myths and stories about them. In some stories Liekkiö is was also thought to be a soul of a child.

the_tree_spirit_by_midorisa-d953atx.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your traditional art reminds me so much of CLAMP. In like the best way possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Your traditional art reminds me so much of CLAMP. In like the best way possible.
    Oh that's interesting, as I haven't thought any style intentionally while drawing. Mine style is still developing, and things that I find inspiring and aesthetically pleasing sort of constantly melt to my own. The artist in Clamp are all very talented mangakas and artists, so that's a very great compliment .