• FFXV has an enormous map!


    Thanks to Mathga II and Photoshopga II magicks, the website DualShockers has figured out how big the Final Fantasy XV map actually is! (Huge. It's huge.)

    In the recently released driving video, at the 19 seconds mark, you can see a map. The map indicates the length of the route mapped, which is 4,392 m. This gave them the breakthrough they needed to properly calculate the size of the known world map.




    After some fancy Mathga II, Dualshockers were able to provide an accurate representation of the immense size of the Final Fantasy XV map. Now if you've played other games, such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt or Grand Theft Auto V, you'll know that having large maps filled to the brim with content is very popular with gamers. Dualshockers provided a size comparison map so you can truly understand how large Final Fantasy XV's map is.


    So we now know why Final Fantasy XV is really taking a decade to create. If this is the full map, it is the biggest map for any single player game.


    What do you think about the sheer size of the world of Final Fantasy XV? Seeing as how you'll be able to drive across this landmass, how do you feel about the addition of the car now?
    This article was originally published in forum thread: FFXV has an enormous map! started by Freya View original post
    Comments 42 Comments
    1. FFIX Choco Boy's Avatar
      FFIX Choco Boy -
      I can think of one other (non-randomized) single player video game map that's larger. Daggerfall's.

      Anyways, I think it's great that we're finally going back to huge maps and tons of areas to explore. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE FFXIII, but the corridor does get stale after a while, and being able to go off the beaten path and find new things is always a welcome addition to the Final Fantasy games.
    1. Del Murder's Avatar
      Del Murder -
      A large map means nothing if the areas are not diverse and full of content. If the FFXV map is as rich as some of the other games that have been mentioned, then it will be very fun to explore. However, if it is a lot of open road you just drive through then there's not much point to it.

      Just going by the information shown here, it is very impressive how much bigger FFXV is compared to some other popular open world games!

      Also I know the car has been shown a lot for this game, but will we get to fly through this vast world too? I recall airships being one of the last things they are trying to create and that they are not guaranteed, but I hope fast travel (Xenoblade-style free and easy travel please) or some kind of free-flying approach is available.
    1. Aulayna's Avatar
      Aulayna -
      Yeah I agree with Del. The Duscae demo was pretty dull outside of the main story aspect of it, the side quests amounted to nothing more than your usual MMORPG fetch quests. I hope the content of the final game is a lot more varied.

      I do wonder if this will be seamless too, or if there will be loading screens between regions or elongated areas of nothingness (ala Mass Effect 1 lifts) to hide loading screens.
    1. Freya's Avatar
      Freya -
      I can't say for how much content but the small sample sized that was shown in the driving video that they got the distances from, there was a lot of vistas and locations shown.



      We can only hope that the whole world has a lot of stuff. I mean, it has to for how long it's been in development.
    1. Formalhaut's Avatar
      Formalhaut -
      Given the large map size, and the even larger development size, you would expect most of the world to have some interesting content. If it doesn't, people will be wondering why it took so long in the first place.

      I'm cautiously hopeful, but I sadly would not be surprised if some of those wide open fields had nothing to them.
    1. Wolf Kanno's Avatar
      Wolf Kanno -
      Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
      Given the large map size, and the even larger development size, you would expect most of the world to have some interesting content. If it doesn't, people will be wondering why it took so long in the first place.
      I still believe in my theory that no real work beyond concept design and early pre-production development had actually been done for this game until Tabata joined the project. Which is why it always felt like actual results showed up when he joined instead of the years of Nomura and Wada saying "We're working on it, it's coming!" with little to show except concept trailers shown only to the press behind closed doors.

      The size is impressive but I'm skeptical all that land mass will be traversible, and if it is, I'm not sure how much meaningful content can be placed into it.
    1. Fynn's Avatar
      Fynn -
      I'm super duper hyped at this point
    1. Mirage's Avatar
      Mirage -
      Xenoblade Chronicles X is bigger. Just sayin.
    1. Freya's Avatar
      Freya -
      Okay. Okay other games have bigger maps. I should have put one of the biggest.
    1. Fynn's Avatar
      Fynn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
      Xenoblade Chronicles X is bigger. Just sayin.
      Really?
    1. Mirage's Avatar
      Mirage -
      actually i'm not sure

      it's just a rumour
    1. FFIX Choco Boy's Avatar
      FFIX Choco Boy -
      Well, we know for a fact that Daggerfall's is bigger.
    1. Leigh's Avatar
      Leigh -
      Pretty sure that if there is any element of truth to this, then it's going to suffer from Gobi Desert syndrome. Even Grand Theft Auto 5, which was a metropolis, felt that the majority of the world lacked interactivity outside of the computer generated population and automobiles.
    1. escobert's Avatar
      escobert -
      Still smaller than DayZs map which clocks in at about 5450 km˛
    1. Mirage's Avatar
      Mirage -
      and again, there's the question of content density.

      it's unproblematic to make a map that is bigger than africa, but filling it with content is a different thing all together
    1. escobert's Avatar
      escobert -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
      and again, there's the question of content density.

      it's unproblematic to make a map that is bigger than africa, but filling it with content is a different thing all together
      http://www.izurvive.com/#c=-50;-38;3

      7 cities, 3 airfields, dozens of smaller towns and villages, multiple military bases and more being added every patch with 95% or so of the buildings enter-able. Then there's the player made bases and camps spread around everywhere. it most defiantly is not a wasteland void of things to do.
    1. Leigh's Avatar
      Leigh -
      Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
      and again, there's the question of content density.

      it's unproblematic to make a map that is bigger than africa, but filling it with content is a different thing all together
      http://www.izurvive.com/#c=-50;-38;3

      7 cities, 3 airfields, dozens of smaller towns and villages, multiple military bases and more being added every patch with 95% or so of the buildings enter-able. Then there's the player made bases and camps spread around everywhere. it most defiantly is not a wasteland void of things to do.
      Forgive me, I have never played DayZ, but by things to do, does that mean scripted interaction, or just things to look at? Would 6 cities instead of 7 make a quantifiable difference to the game, and narrative (being a survival game, does it have one?), or is it simply a demonstration of a developers 3DS Max prowess?

      I think the big worry is a lack of meaningful content, a reason for being, instead of it being simply filler substance. Real life is full mostly nothing. I'd rather my video games not be a completely accurate portrayal of what I am trying to escape from when I fire up the old gogglebox!
    1. escobert's Avatar
      escobert -
      Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
      and again, there's the question of content density.

      it's unproblematic to make a map that is bigger than africa, but filling it with content is a different thing all together
      http://www.izurvive.com/#c=-50;-38;3

      7 cities, 3 airfields, dozens of smaller towns and villages, multiple military bases and more being added every patch with 95% or so of the buildings enter-able. Then there's the player made bases and camps spread around everywhere. it most defiantly is not a wasteland void of things to do.
      Forgive me, I have never played DayZ, but by things to do, does that mean scripted interaction, or just things to look at? Would 6 cities instead of 7 make a quantifiable difference to the game, and narrative (being a survival game, does it have one?), or is it simply a demonstration of a developers 3DS Max prowess?

      I think the big worry is a lack of meaningful content, a reason for being, instead of it being simply filler substance. Real life is full mostly nothing. I'd rather my video games not be a completely accurate portrayal of what I am trying to escape from when I fire up the old gogglebox!
      There is no story in DayZ. It's a completely sandbox open world multiplayer zombie survival game. DayZ is very much a portrayal of what a Zombie Apocalypse would be like in real life. You must eat, drink, survive the elements. you can break your leg and not be able to walk, you can be shot by a 12 year old that you never saw from 1000 meters away and never hear the gunshot before screen says "You Are Dead". you must repair your vehicles, keep the fueled and running ect.

    1. Leigh's Avatar
      Leigh -
      Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
      and again, there's the question of content density.

      it's unproblematic to make a map that is bigger than africa, but filling it with content is a different thing all together
      http://www.izurvive.com/#c=-50;-38;3

      7 cities, 3 airfields, dozens of smaller towns and villages, multiple military bases and more being added every patch with 95% or so of the buildings enter-able. Then there's the player made bases and camps spread around everywhere. it most defiantly is not a wasteland void of things to do.
      Forgive me, I have never played DayZ, but by things to do, does that mean scripted interaction, or just things to look at? Would 6 cities instead of 7 make a quantifiable difference to the game, and narrative (being a survival game, does it have one?), or is it simply a demonstration of a developers 3DS Max prowess?

      I think the big worry is a lack of meaningful content, a reason for being, instead of it being simply filler substance. Real life is full mostly nothing. I'd rather my video games not be a completely accurate portrayal of what I am trying to escape from when I fire up the old gogglebox!
      There is no story in DayZ. It's a completely sandbox open world multiplayer zombie survival game. DayZ is very much a portrayal of what a Zombie Apocalypse would be like in real life. You must eat, drink, survive the elements. you can break your leg and not be able to walk, you can be shot by a 12 year old that you never saw from 1000 meters away and never hear the gunshot before screen says "You Are Dead". you must repair your vehicles, keep the fueled and running ect.

      I'm sure this is a good game, for what it is. For me personally, I'd probably find it more interesting in 200 years, if the servers lasted long enough, when there is a culture and back story from the several generations of players who have left their mark and contributed to the construction and destruction of the world!

      At the moment it sounds a little bit like Second Life and PvP/E Minecraft meshed together with players told its dystopia. Now act like real dystopians! I think massive worlds can easily be constructed, with structure and architecture, even completely procedurally without human input. In a game like Final Fantasy, it needs to be a little more relevant. Let's hope they pull it off.
    1. escobert's Avatar
      escobert -
      Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
      and again, there's the question of content density.

      it's unproblematic to make a map that is bigger than africa, but filling it with content is a different thing all together
      http://www.izurvive.com/#c=-50;-38;3

      7 cities, 3 airfields, dozens of smaller towns and villages, multiple military bases and more being added every patch with 95% or so of the buildings enter-able. Then there's the player made bases and camps spread around everywhere. it most defiantly is not a wasteland void of things to do.
      Forgive me, I have never played DayZ, but by things to do, does that mean scripted interaction, or just things to look at? Would 6 cities instead of 7 make a quantifiable difference to the game, and narrative (being a survival game, does it have one?), or is it simply a demonstration of a developers 3DS Max prowess?

      I think the big worry is a lack of meaningful content, a reason for being, instead of it being simply filler substance. Real life is full mostly nothing. I'd rather my video games not be a completely accurate portrayal of what I am trying to escape from when I fire up the old gogglebox!
      There is no story in DayZ. It's a completely sandbox open world multiplayer zombie survival game. DayZ is very much a portrayal of what a Zombie Apocalypse would be like in real life. You must eat, drink, survive the elements. you can break your leg and not be able to walk, you can be shot by a 12 year old that you never saw from 1000 meters away and never hear the gunshot before screen says "You Are Dead". you must repair your vehicles, keep the fueled and running ect.

      I'm sure this is a good game, for what it is. For me personally, I'd probably find it more interesting in 200 years, if the servers lasted long enough, when there is a culture and back story from the several generations of players who have left their mark and contributed to the construction and destruction of the world!

      At the moment it sounds a little bit like Second Life and PvP/E Minecraft meshed together with players told its dystopia. Now act like real dystopians! I think massive worlds can easily be constructed, with structure and architecture, even completely procedurally without human input. In a game like Final Fantasy, it needs to be a little more relevant. Let's hope they pull it off.
      I agree, that a normal RPG needs to be built differently than somehting like this. But the vast amount of things you can build, craft and whatnot in DayZ along with the player interaction and just beautiful views and places is amazing for being in Alpha development still. The DayZ I'm talking about, (DayZ Standalone) is based off a mod (DayZ Mod) of the military simulation game ArmaII. So there's already a backstory to the fictional former soviet republic it takes place in called Chernarus. There's some REALLY in depth cool role playing servers but my one gripe with them is they mostly all have a no kill on sight rule which really takes a lot of the suspense out for me. When you're character dies, that's it they're dead you start over with a T-shirt, jeans, a rag and a flare on the beach.




      I really hope with a map this large, FFXV will bring back the exploration aspect in the game. That was one thing I really enjoyed, was running around finding new places or while frustrating, just getting lost trying to get to your next objective.
  • EoFF on Twitter

  • Square Enix on Twitter